The following requirements are set for completing the programme:
- Advanced instruction by means of self-tuition and compulsory seminars on topics assigned to the student.
- Practical experience of the laboratory techniques used in the particular subsections of the subject.
- Taking part in a research project and presentation of an independent research report.
- Satisfactory attendance at a library-user course.
1. Relevant bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree
2. A weighted average of at least 60% at final-year level
The prerequisites for admission to the honours degree in certain fields of study are indicated in the syllabuses of the specific department.
Also consult General Regulations.
Examinations and pass requirements
- The examinations in the programme will consist of written papers of three hours in each subject, practical examinations of one hour, as well as an oral examination of 30 minutes.
- The maximum period for completion of the honours degree, is two years in the case of full-time students and three years in the case of part-time students. In exceptional circumstances, a student may apply, in writing, to the head of department for an extension of the period of study.
- To comply with the pass requirements for the degree, a student must obtain a final mark of at least 50% in each division as indicated, as well as a pass mark of at least 50% for the essay/work assignment (if applicable). The stipulations regarding pass requirements for dissertations in the General Regulations apply mutatis mutandis to essays.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained an average of at least 75% in the examination (written, oral, practical, etc).