- A recognised and applicable full research MEng degree with an average of at least 70% or a recognised and applicable taught master’s degree with an average of at least 70% for the coursework and at least 70% for the mini-dissertation.
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee will evaluate the application and if the academic record is acceptable and the research idea falls within the departmental research areas, a supervisor will be allocated to the applicant. The applicant will then register for non-degree purposes for a maximum period of six months to prepare a full proposal in line with the prescripts on the departmental website. The departmental Postgraduate Committee will evaluate the proposal for admission.
- The applicant must have sufficient background knowledge of engineering/project/technology management, specifically in the proposed research field.
Other programme-specific information
Also consult the General Regulations.
- Subject to the stipulations of the General Regulations, a master's degree is required for admission to studies for a PhD.
- Unless otherwise decided by the Dean, on the recommendation of the supervisor, the PhD degree is awarded on the basis of a thesis and an examination on the thesis.
- Unless the Senate, on the recommendation of the supervisor, decides otherwise, a student, before or on submission of a thesis, must submit proof of submission of an article issued by an accredited journal, to the Head: Student Administration. The submitted article should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the thesis and be approved by the supervisor if the supervisor is not a co-author. The supervisor shall be responsible for ensuring that the paper is taken through all the processes of revision and resubmission, as may be necessary. Conferment of the degree may be made subject to compliance with the stipulations of this regulation.
- The student must provide proof by means of his work, thesis and examination of advanced original research and/or creative work which makes a real and substantial contribution to the knowledge of Engineering Science and/or Practice.
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App