[ Public Health Seminars 2019 ]
Public Health Seminars for 2018
- 2 March, "Publishing in 2018: How to optimise your research outputs by avoiding predators" by Dr Cheryl Tosh
Public Health Seminars for 2017
- 13 October, "A South African perspective on Strategic Human Resource Management theory and practice in the 21st century" by Four MCom Industrial Psychology Students from the Faculty of Economics and Management Sciences, UP
- 21 July 2017, Dr Musa Manganye, Technical Director: HPCA,South Africa - "The efficacy of a social cognitive theory-based intervention, in reducing alchohol-related HIV-risk behaviour among young adults in Mamelodi, Pretoria: Randomised Controlled Trial
- 30 June 2017, Mr James K Kasookabogera, Director - Census and Community Survey Operations Division, Statistics South Africa: "The South African Demographic Health Survey (SADHS)2016"
- 9 June 2017, Dr Lesego Mawela, Executive Director and Health Systems Improvement Coach at the Academy for Quality Healthcare - "National QI initiative for achieving 90-90-90 goals towards HIV/TB elimination"
- 26 May 2017, Prof Patricia Forbes, Department of Chemistry: University of Pretoria - "The determination of pesticide spray drift for environmental health risk assessments"
- 19 May 2017, Mr Tshepo Moto, PhD Student, University of Pretoria: "A Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic Model for Nanoceria"
- 5 May 2017, Mr Moeketsi Modisenyane, PHD Oral Defense : University of Pretoria - "Global health diplomacy: Towards an understanding of integration of health into foreign policy in South Africa – access to antiretroviral medicine"
- 31 March 2017, Dr Muzimkhulu Zungu, Senior Lecturer : University of Pretoria: "Caring for the caregivers (health workers) using HealthWISE- an ILO and WHO Tool for Occupational and Environmental Health Safety!"
- 10 March 2017, Dr Flavia Senkubuge, Specialist Public Health Medicine - "AGENDA 1.0:Decolonising Public Health"
- 3 March 2017, Prof Stella Anyangwe, Honorary Professor, SHSP - "Global health, health management and human rights: The obligatory triad".
- 17 February 2017, Dr Elize Webb,Senior Lecturer: MPH;PhD -"Choosing the correct epidemiological study design- an example of a Cluster Randomised Controlled trial, with special focus on diabetes care at primary health care"
- 10 February 2017, Julize van Niekerk - Ventilation and Occupational Hygiene Engineering Specialist : Anglo American Coal South Africa: "Putting a Cap on Mine Fatigue – SmartCap Technology for Fatigue Management"
- 3 February 2017, Mr Mpho Kekana, Senior Executive Director of CoT Health and Social Development,- "Challenges and success in addressing the social determinants of health in the City of Tshwane."
Public Health Seminars for 2016
- 16 September 2016, Dr TG Shange, "Hygiene in space"; Dr HAS Swanepoel, "Effects of microgravity on bone"; Dr DA Cucukovic, "Human reproduction and development in space".
[ All from the Aerospace Medicine Division: SHSPH ]
- 9 September 2016, Dr Chris Blunden, Aerospace Medicine Division, SHSPH: "Life in the universe. Is life out there possible, where and why do we need to know?"
- 2 September 2016, Mr Hope Taderera, (PhD Oral Defense), “Do National Human Resource for Health Policy interventions impact successfully on Local Human Resource for Health Systems: a case study of Epworth,Zimbabwe”
- 19 August 2016, Mr Harry Thema, Chief Director: SANSS, "SA road to the SDG and Agenda 2063"
- 29 July 2016, PhD Thesis Defence, Vusi Nkosi, "Association between dust from gold mine dumps ,respiratory symptoms and diseases among adolescents and elderly in Gauteng and North West Provinces, South Africa"
- 15 July 2016, Dr Lwando Maki, Registrar: MMED University of Pretoria: "Investigation of an outbreak of food-borne illness in a tertiary education institution Gauteng, South Africa"
- 24 June 2016, Dr Jane Muchiri, Postdoctoral Fellow: Department of Human Nutrition, University of Pretoria - "Qualitative research: application in a Diabetes intervention study"
- 10 June 2016, Dr Elize Webb, Senior Lecturer (SHSPH), "Conducting a clinical audit to measure the quality of diabetes care at primary health care level"
- 20 May 2016, Ms Mashudu Mashamba, "Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (GIS) for HIV/AIDS and TB Programs"
- 22 April 2016, Mr Peter Mbondji, "Developing a tool for setting priorities in the material health planning process at the district level in Cameroon"
- 15 April 2016, Prof Stella Anyangwe, Honorary Professor, SHSPH - "Understanding Sustainable Development Goals"
- 18 March 2016, Mrs Elize Webb, “The efficacy of primary and tertiary specialist care collaboration and mobile complications screening for improving the management of diabetes at primary health level in Tshwane district"
- 11 March 2016, Dr Cheryl Tosh, "Climbing the paper mountain: why metrics are important for researchers in the digital age?"
- 4 March 2016, Dr Caradee Wright, "What’s in the plot? Exploring data limitations, realism and a future vision for environmental health analyses in South Africa?"
- 19 February 2016, Dr Thabiso Makola, "The National Health Insurance for South Africa: Financing (Chapter 7) and Purchasing (Chapter 8) of the white paper"
- 5 February 2016, Dr Batanai Muzah, “How South Africa is planning to achieve the UNAIDS 90-90-90 Targets by 2020 through District Implementation Planning”
Public Health Seminars for 2015
- 30 October 2015, Prof Marcel de Toledo Vieira, Federal University of Juiz de Fora, Brazil, "Misspecification Effects in the Analysis of Panel Data"
- 2 October 2015, Dr Taneshka Kruger, University of Pretoria Centre for Sustainable Malaria Control (UP CSMC), SHSPH - "Safer and more sustainable approaches to malaria control through multi-disciplinary research"
- 18 September 2015, Mr Galeboe Khonkhobe, Managing Director, Zakhon Industries, "Lean Management : Applica-tion to Health Care Sector"
- 11 September 2015, Mr Kopano Matsaseng, Statistics South Africa, "Health Economics and Key Statistics"
- 4 September 2015, Dr Simba Takuva, "Estimating the HIV Treatment Cascade in South Africa: Utility of Laboratory-Based Surveillance Data"
- 26 June 2015, Dr Muzimkhulu Zungu, Senior Lecturer : University of Pretoria - "Tuberculosis in health care settings and health workers"
- 12 June 2015, Presenter: Dr Selaelo Mametja, Health Economist : Council for Medical Schemes - "Quality of care in Medical Scheme beneficiaries"
- 5 June 2015, Presenter: Mr Vusi Nkosi,PhD Student and Lecturer: School of Health Systems and Public Health - "Chronic respiratory disease among the elderly in a South African community : any association with proximity to mine dumps?"
- 22 May 2015, Dr Victor Naidu (PhD), Director M&E Capacity Building (DPME) and Ad-junct Professor (School of Public Administra-tion—University of Fort Hare) - "Government Wide Monitoring and Evaluation System"
- 15 May 2015, Prof Tiaan de Jager, Dean Faculty Health Sciences Research - "Research"
- 8 May 2015, Prof Shinga Feresu, Head of Epidemiology & Biostatistics Track - "Africa and Health : An Update of Current State of Health Issues"
- 24 April 2015, Ms Boitumelo Sethlatswe, South African Institute of Race Relations, Head of Centre for Risk Analysis."South Africa’s next 10 Years Trends, Risks, Scenarios and Probabilities"
- 17 April 2015, Prof Stella Anyangwe, SHSPH, University of Pretoria: "Are we there yet ? A review of the MDGs, and the way forward"
- 10 April 2015, Dr N Claassen,Senior Lecture : SHSPH— University of Pretoria - "The lyashisa board game : An innovative approach to train underground mine workers on heat stress"
- 27 March 2015, Dr O Abrahams and Mr G Sekobe, National Institute for Occupational Health, of the National Health Laboratory Service - “Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Hearing Conservation in the Iron and Steel Industry in South Africa”
- 20 March 2015, Mr Sean Patric, PhD student (Environmental Health) University of Pretoria (UP CSMC) : "Effects of in utero-, lactational– and direct exposure to selected endocrine disrupting chemicals on rat male reproductive system"
- 13 March 2015, "Public health in action: UP MPH students investigate out-breaks of malaria and measles" - Ms P Mathenjwa and Ms L Motsuku
- 6 March 2015, "Characterization of Respirable Crystalline Silica dust from abandoned mines around Roodepoort" - Thingahangwi Madzivhandila
- 20 February 2015, “Epidemiology Application: The Epidemiology of Birth Outcomes and Women’s Health ” - Prof S Feresu
- 6 February 2015, “Molecular Epidemiology of food borne disease” - Dr M Dr M Kamama
Public Health Seminars for 2014
- 24 October 2014, Prof SJH Hendricks, Complex Problem Solving, Coherence and Coordination - The Fallacy of "Its not a Problem"
- 17 October 2014, Dr D Kibuuka, "Use of health facilities and levels of selected health conditions in South Africa, 2011"
- 12 September 2014, Dr CJ Blunden, "The past, the present and space tripping in the future."
- 29 August 2014, Dr Nazir Ismail, "Experiences and Lessons Learnt : Implementation of the South African Tuberculosis Drug Resistance Survey"
- 15 August 2014, Dr L Bogatsu, ICAO-CAPSA-Collaborative arrangement for the prevention and management of Public Events in Civil aviation : the case of Ebola outbreak.
- 8 August 2014, Dr J Wichmann, Application of the case-crossover epidemiological study design: Association between outdoor air pollution and cause-specific mortality in Cape Town, South Africa
- 1 August 2014,  Investigation of increased cases of diarrhoea in De Doorns/ Worcester, Cape Winelands Districts, Western Cape Province, February/ March 2014
 Acute Gastroenteritis (AGE) outbreak investigation, 19-25 May 2014 Home for Abondoned children, Gauteng
- 18 July 2014, Dr Marlene Fourie, Infotox Nanomaterials health risks:cart before the horse?
- 27 June 2014, Dr M Zungu, Worker’s Health within Primary Health Care in South Africa
- 13 June, Dr C Osborne, MDG 5a: Accelerating the reduction in maternal mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa
- 6 June, Ms Lynda Olinger, A comparison of survival analysis, threshold regression and linear mixed models in the analysis of longitudinal data.
- 16 May, Dr Sarie Oosthuizen, Monitoring and Evaluation of PHC Programmes in Tshwane District
- 11 April, Prof Stephen JH Hendricks, Ethics, Persuasion and Strate-gic Thinking in the Health
- 14 March, Prof Michael Li,The Role of Mathematical Modelling in Disease Control using HIV in China as a case study
- 7 March, Moeketsi Modisenyane, Integrating Global Health into Foreign Policy : A case of South Africa
- 28 February 2014, Nomathemba Dube, "Risk of Nevirapine-associated Stevens-Johnson syndrome among HIV-infected pregnant women: The Medunsa National Pharmacovigilance Centre, 2007 –2012"
- 21 February 2014, Barbara English: "Literature Review : Important Things to Know"
- 7 February 2014, Dr Nenene Qekwana: "Risk characterization in food safety and food and food safety policy development"