Frequently asked questions:

What time do classes start?

Classes are scheduled from 08:00.  Students are advised to download and refer to their study guides for any variations.

What time do classes end?

Classes generally end at 16:30.

How do I access the electronic exam papers?

Past exam papers can be accessed via the Health Sciences Library home page under e-Exam papers. Students have to enter the course code for each specific exam paper required. The system requires the student number as well as the PIN in order to gain access. Should you require further assistance, contact Estelle Grobler in the library at 012 354 2316.

How do I register for a second (and subsequent year of study)?

All registrations are now done online.  Please refer to the University’s webpage for details. All students must re-register for study by the end of February.

What are the Friday Public Health Seminars about?

These take place every Friday from 08:00-09:00 in Bophelo Room (5.20). The purpose of the seminars is to expose both academic staff as well as students to a presentation by either staff, students or outside experts on an issue of interest to public health. Students can present results from their research, staff can present on their research or a journal article can be discussed, whereas outside experts normally present on their research and institution where they are from.

Attending the seminars is compulsory for all students as it forms part of the academic programme for the week, irrespective of the module which is being attended.

What happens if my assignment is handed in late?

Students may apply for an extension for the submission. This must be applied for via e-mail and is at the discretion of the module coordinator. Remember that even if this is approved, a minimum of10% may still be deducted from the final mark. ALL assignments must be handed in for marking by the end of the academic year in which the module was registered for as all requirements must be met in the SAME academic year.

How do I apply for an extension of study period?

When you try to register online there will be a block on your record that will prevent registration.  The block will indicate that the application for extension of study form must be downloaded. Students must download the form (available online ) from the student service centre.  Students must complete the form and submit the form to their supervisor/promoter for consideration.  All applications for extension are reviewed by one of the SHSPH committees and the final decision is made by the Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences.

Does it make a difference in which order I write the Core (PHM 871) and Track (PHM 872) exams?

No, as long as you meet the requirements for that particular exam. There are many students who write PHM 872 before they are able to write PHM 871.  Please remember to book for the exam.  These forms are either available from Mr Reuben Semenya.

Why don’t I get a new PG book for every academic year?

The SHSPH PG book is a guide for students detailing the curriculum and administrative issues that pertain to the initial registration for a degree / diploma.  It is to be read in conjunction with the Faculty Regulations for the same year of registration.

Copyright © University of Pretoria 2024. All rights reserved.

COVID-19 Corona Virus South African Resource Portal

To contact the University during the COVID-19 lockdown, please send an email to [email protected]

FAQ's Email Us Virtual Campus Share Cookie Preferences