Contract Senior Lecturer
Office: IT Building 6-56, Hatfield Campus
Tel: +27 12 420 3965
Dr Van Wyk’s background as researcher, author as well as her industry experience in managing information services resulted in a deep understanding of the support that especially emerging researchers require. She is passionate about inclusive education, and Paulo Freire's work on critical pedagogy, specifically, guided during her earlier years as ABET facilitator. She has experience in information services management and the management of library systems in both public and academic sectors.
Dr Van Wyk has been a part-time moderator, examiner and lecturer at Unisa and at the University of Zululand. She managed the implementation of open access research repositories at the University of Zululand as well as The Independent Institute of Education. She is the Managing Editor of a DHET accredited journal, the Independent Journal of Teaching and Learning. She has published in several journals and conference proceedings. She is a research fellow at UNISA.
- PhD Information Science, Pretoria (2016). Study leader: Prof A.S.A. du Toit. Trends in Digital Scholarship Curation in Public and Private Higher Education Institutions in Southern Africa: A sociotechnical approach towards sustainability. http://hdl.handle.net/2263/63181
- M.Ed ICT in Education (Cum Laude), UJ (2020). Study leader: Prof D van der Westhuizen. The Uptake of Teaching with Technology in a Southern African Higher Education Institution
- M Informationis, RAU/UJ (1996). Study leader: Prof A.S.A. du Toit. The Management of Information as a Resource in Local Government
- Hons. B. Bibl, UNISA (1990)
- B.Bibl RAU/University of Johannesburg (1987)
- BA Social Sciences (Psychology, Communication) RAU/UJ (1985)
Diplomas and Senior Certificates
- ABET Diploma (SALT)
- Certified BlackBoard Facilitator level 2
- Coaching and Mentorship
- Labour Relations for Employers (TELO)
- Local Government Finance (UNISA)
- Local Government Management (UJ)
- Research Ethics certificate (BC Compliant)
- Digital exclusion
- Digital libraries
- Digital research and learning commons
- Educational technology
- Information and knowledge management
- Information ethics
- Institutional repositories
- Open access, openness and open education resources
- Research data management
- Research ethics
- Research supervision
- Scholarship curation and scholarship publication
Researcher ID profile
Coordinator & lecturer:
- INL 140 – Information Science: Information and communication technology
- INL 230 – Information Science: User studies and dissemination
- IMIT 891 – Facilitating Information Retrieval and Information use
- INL 240 – Information Science: Social and ethical impact
- INL 320 – Information Science: Information and knowledge management
- INL 380 – Information Science: Competitive Intelligence
- The Independent Institute of Education (IIE) – Deputy Dean Research and Postgraduate Studies,
- The Independent Institute of Education (IIE) – Head: Library and Information Services
- University of Zululand – Deputy Director: Library and Information Services
- Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipalities – Ekurhuleni Corporate Manager – Bibliographic and Technical positions
- Roodepoort City Libraries – Head: Branch & Depot Libraries & ABET School
- Training and Development Experience
- Manage the Adult Basic Education and training programme, IEB examination and ABET school
- Information literacy training
- Digital literacy training
- Information specialist training
- Referencing and plagiarism prevention workshops and tutorials
- Academic writing and research workshops and writing clinics
- Postgraduate supervisor training
- Research ethics training
- Research proposal short learning programmes
- Research publishing workshops
- Education Management and Governance Experience
- Chaired Ethics committees
- Chaired Library Committee
- Chaired Research and Postgraduate Committee
- Faculty Boards member
- Senate member at the IIE
- Academic and Teaching Experience
- Contract lecturer Multi-Cultural Libraries, UJ/ RAU
- Part-time Lecturer Readership for Semi-literates, information literacy TechSA
- Part-time Lecturer School librarianship, Introduction to Computers, Collection Development, UNIZULU
Examination, Moderation and Supervision
University of Pretoria
MIT (coursework Master’s in Information Science)
Master’s in Information Science (6)
PhD Information Science and Knowledge Management
- Research Associate, JET Education
- Researcher in project: COVID-19 impact on schools in SA – UNESCO Research Report
Curriculum and Programme Development
- Introduction to Knowledge Management (NQF 7)
- Introduction to Ethic: Information and Digital Ethics (NQF 7)
- School Librarianship for the Postgraduate Diploma, NQF 8
- Collection Development and maintenance (NQF 7)
- International research project
- The Independent Institute of Education & Somaiya Vidyavihar University India
- Represent The IIE in in a joint research project on Industry 4.0, in the SA environment
Collaboration projects 2020-
- Universities in France, Brazil, Iran and South Africa:
- Managing embargoes of research scholarship publication– a comparative study
- SA project of JET Education Services; Researcher for the project: The impact of COVID-19 on SA schooling
2018 current date
Upcoming Publications and Events – Accepted manuscripts and chapters to be published
- Postgraduate research during Covid19 in a South African Higher Education: Inequality,
- Ethics and Requirements for a Reimagined Future. B van Wyk, Q Dawood. DUT Book Chapter (Accepted)
- Navigating Knowledge Support to the New Phygital Student in the African Higher Education Learning Ecosystem. B van Wyk. IGI Book Chapter (Accepted).
Papers presented at recent Conferences
- Managing digital scholarship towards becoming a learning organisation.; Dr B van Wyk, T Mofana, & S Simelane. The 22nd European Conference of Knowledge Management (ECKM), 1-3 September 2021.
- The Uptake of Teaching with Technology at a Southern African distance Higher Education Institution. Dr B van Wyk. Distance Education and Teachers’ Training in Africa (DETA), 3-5 August 2021
- Keynote Address: The Four Pillars of Digitised African Content. UKS African Continent - Digitisation Conference. September 2021.
- Emergency Remote Learning Strategies. Dr G Mooney, Dr B van Wyk, Dr W Engelbrecht. Council of Higher Education (CHE) Colloquium, 2021
- Online group supervision as pedagogy under emergency conditions: optimising online collaboration towards self-directed learning in a South African HEI; NOMSA Dec 2021
- Views on postgraduate scholarly production and publishing resulting from online group supervision: Affordances and challenges, B van Wyk, SHRE Dec 2021
- Knowledge Management, Institutional Repositories and Knowledge Capital, Dr B van Wyk, & T Mofana. Knowledge Management South Africa (KMSA) 2020
- Emergency Remote Learning during pandemic times. Dr B van Wyk. The European Conference on eLearning (ECEL) 2020, Berlin Germany 5-6 October 2020
- A Library and Information Service (LIS) Crisis-driven innovation strategy. Dr B van Wyk. The International Association of Technical University Libraries (IATUL), 2020, Innsbruck, Austria,
- The Changing Landscape of New Literacies Towards Sustainable Development, NWU, Dr B van Wyk. International Conference of Information Literacy (ICIL) September 2019
- Learn 3.0 Meets Library 3.0: A Case Study, Dr B van Wyk & H. Geldenhuys. The 13th International Conference on eLearning (ICEL), 5-6 June 2018
- Work -integrated learning and the role of LIS, A pilot study, Munich, Germany. Dr B van Wyk & L Webster. The International Association of Technical University Libraries (IATUL) 2018. LIS and WPL
- Honing a Digital Solution for a Digital Generation. Dr B van Wyk & I Kadzenga. Information Science DLIS International Conference, 2017, University of Zululand.
- A sociotechnical exploration into factors impacting web visibility of digital scholarship. Dr B van Wyk & Prof A.S.A du Toit. Science DLIS International Conference, 2017, University of Zululand.
- Breaking the Mould: A Case Study of a Digital Learning Commons Implementation Project. B van Wyk & I Kadzenga. Standing Conference of Eastern, Central and Southern Information Associations in Africa (SCECSAL), Swaziland, April 2016.
- How Visible Are We Really? Research Visibility and Discoverability Factors. Dr B van Wyk & Prof A.S.A du Toit. The 12th International Conference on Webometrics, Informetrics and Scientometrics, COLLNET (WIS), Nancy, France, 16 -17 December 2016.
- A Knowledge Management Approach to Sustainable Scholarship Curation. B van Wyk. Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD), New Delhi, India 6-8 November 2015.
- Management of Institutional Repositories in Southern Africa – A comparative study B van Wyk. The UK Group for Archives and Libraries in Africa - SCOLMA, Oxford University, UK, 25- 26 June 2012 Information and content.
- Implementing a Research Repository: A Case Study: B van Wyk & Prof J Mostert, International Electronic Dissertation and Theses (ETD) Conference, 12-14 September 2012 Lima, Peru.
- Information Science, DLIS International Conference, 2011, University of Zululand, Information management Issues and Challenges in the Establishment of a Successful IR. B van Wyk.
- Information Science - DLIS International Conference, 2010, University of Zululand, Institutional Repositories: Enhanced Access to Information, B van Wyk.
- Information Science, DLIS, The University of Botswana 2010, International Conference, African Digital Scholarship, University of Botswana, Institutional Repositories – Critical Success Factors, B van Wyk.
- Institutional Repositories as Gateways to Local Content – a case study, B van Wyk & Prof J Mostert. Library and Information Service (LIS) International Conference, The University of Botswana, 2009, African Digital Scholarship,
- Academic Literacy and E-Research Competencies as Strategic Foci for Online Writing Centres During Pandemic Lockdown, Dr B van Wyk. The Association of Academic Literacy Practitioners, 14-15 October 2021.
- Academic Literacy and E-research competencies as strategic foci for online writing centres during COVID-19 – a case study, Dr B van Wyk . SAAALP 2021, 15 October 2021.
- Transforming Academic Support Services to Accommodate the New Phygital Generation, Dr B van Wyk & T Mofana. LIASA 2021, 27 September 2021
- The role of Academic Libraries during COVID-19, Dr B van Wyk. UNILISA 3 March 2021
- Role players in Engendering 21st Century Skills towards the 4IR and SDG 4.3, Dr B van Wyk & Prof L Jacobs. UNILISA, 6 March 2019.
- Setting sail into uncharted waters: A case study of a digital library – LMS collaboration project, Dr B van Wyk. LIASA, 2017
- Planning and Implementation of Institutional Research Repositories, B van Wyk. LIASA, 2010
- The Changing Role of Universities, B van Wyk. UJ Colloquium, 2009.
Recent Publications in internationally accredited, peer-reviewed academic journals and proceedings
- How a HEI Manages Digital Scholarship in Becoming a Learning Organisation. B van Wyk, S, Simelane, T, Mofana. Conference Proceedings ECKM, 1-3 September 2021.
- Online group supervision as pedagogy under emergency conditions: optimising online collaboration towards self-directed learning in a South African HEI. B van Wyk, Q Dawood. Proceedings; Network of OER and Multi-model Self-directed Learning in Southern Africa (NOMSA) 2021 International Conference.
- Engendering 21st Century workplace literacy for the hospitality industry: exploring the role of the academic library. 2020, Dr B Van Wyk, Prof L Jacobs, South African Journal of Libraries and Information Science 85 (1), 31-39.
- Emergency Remote Learning in the Times of Covid: A Higher Education Innovation Strategy. Dr Brenda van Wyk, Dr Gillian Mooney, Proceedings of the 19th European Conference on eLearning, 2020, ECEL, 99-507, 9781713820659.
- Learn 3.0 meets library 3.0, B van Wyk, H Geldenhuys, International Conference on e- Learning, 479-XIX ECEL 2019 Proceedings. ISBN: 978-1-5108-9902-5.
- A survey of sustainable curation in research repositories of higher education institutions in Southern Africa. B Van Wyk, ASA Du Toit, African Journal of Library Archives & Information Science. (Internationally accredited). 2016, 21 (2), 107-116, eISSN: 0795-4778.
- Reconsidering a digital learning commons in a distance teaching and learning environment, Dr B Van Wyk, I Kadzenga. South African Journal of Libraries and Information Science 2016, 83 (2), 52-62.
- African Institutional Repositories as Contributors to Global Information, B van Wyk, J Mostert, Mousaion, 2014, 32(1), 98-114.
- Toward Enhanced Access to Africa's Research and Local Content: A Case Study of the Institutional Depository Project, University of Zululand, South Africa. 2011, 139 – 151. B Wyk, J Mostert African Journal of Library Archives & Information Science eISSN: 0795-4778.
In: P.K. Jain, Jean-Charles Lamirel and Parveen Babbar Eds. (2018). Trends in Bibliometrics and Scientometric Studies. London, Athena Academic. 9781910390351, 334p.
Dissertations and Theses
Trends in digital scholarship curation in public and private higher education institutions in southern Africa: A sociotechnical approach towards sustainability. B Van Wyk, Doctoral thesis, University of Pretoria. 2016.
How Lecturers in a Faculty of Education at a Sub-Saharan Private Online Distance Higher Education Institution Use Digital Technologies for 21st Century Teaching and Learning, Dr B Van Wyk. M.Ed. (Cum Laude), RAU/University of Johannesburg. 2020.
The Management of Information as a Resource in Local Government. B van Wyk. M Informationis, RAU/University of Johannesburg. 1996.
ASIS&T– Association of Information Science and Technology
IATUL - International Association of Technical Universities Library Services
IFLA – International Federation of Library Associations
KMSA – Knowledge Management South Africa
LIASA – Library and Information Services Association
NDLTD – Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations
SAAALP – The Association of Academic Literacy Practitioners
SAOUG – South African Online User Group
SARIMA – South African Research Information Association
Most music genres