Minimum requirements for admission
• National Senior Certificate (NSC) with bachelor’s degree exemption or equivalent qualification
• An Admission Point Score (APS), minimum 26-29 (excluding Life Orientation)
• A minimum of 50% for English language (home or first additional)
• Art as a school subject is NOT a requirement
Step 1 of 3: Application at UP
Applications for the year 2024 open on 1 April 2023. Applications are online only. The closing date for UP applications for BA Fine Art is 29 September 2023.
Step 2 of 3: UP competency test
Drawing and Conceptualisation Test Submission
You are required to submit:
• A motivational letter. This letter should state information about yourself, achievements, personal interests, motivation for study and should not be longer than 500 words. This must be emailed to Ms Immogen Visser at the email address: [email protected]
• A Fine Arts Extended Programme Questionnaire must be filled out. This questionnaire can be found online on the Fine Arts Extended Programme page. This must be emailed to Ms Immogen Visser at the email address: [email protected]
• The conceptualisation test requires you to interpret and compare two images of two artworks that will be emailed to you. You will interpret and compare the visual images and communicate your ideas in written form no longer than 500 words that will be emailed to the secretary of the Visual Arts Division.
The deadline for submission is 29 September 2023.
Should you not receive a reply via email by 6 October 2023, you can assume that you do not qualify for Step 3, the final process.
Step 3 of 3: In-person interview and test
You will be notified in October via email to participate in an interview, drawing test and conceptualisation test with Fine Art staff members that will take place in-person at the Visual Arts Building on the University of Pretoria’s Hatfield Campus.
• A drawing. The drawing will be an original still life object drawn from observation. This drawing will be done in the form of a drawing test on campus.
• Please note that you have the option to bring a photograph or a portfolio of artworks that best demonstrate your area of practice (painting, sculpture, ceramics or installations) to your interview. This is an option and not a requirement.
The Fine Art Department also has a 4 year Fine Arts degree, please follow the link to find out if you meet the minimum requirements to apply for that programme.