Minimum requirements for admission
• National Senior Certificate or equivalent qualification
• An Admission Point Score (APS), minimum 30
• A minimum of 60% for English language (home or first additional)
• Art as a school subject is NOT a requirement
Step 1: Application at UP
Applications for the year 2023 opens on the 1 April 2022. Applications are online only. The closing date for UP applications for BA Fine Art is 30 September 2022.
Step 2: Application at Fine Art
Portfolio and Questionnaire submission
You are required to submit an A4 size portfolio containing ten (10) artworks and a completed questionnaire.
• The portfolio should be photographs of your original artworks in a Flip File with a cover page stating your name.
• The portfolio must include two (2) A4 size original object drawings from observation. Two (2) photographs of your choice and six (6) photographs of artworks of your area of practice (painting, sculpture, ceramics or installations).
• The questionnaire requires information about yourself, achievements, personal interests and motivation for study.
Deadline for submission is 30 September 2022.
Should you not receive a reply via email by the 24 October 2022, you can assume that you do not qualify for Step 3, the final process.
Step 3: Online interview
You will be notified in October via email to participate in an interview with Fine Art staff members. You are expected to interpret an image of an artwork that will be emailed to you. You will interpret the visual image and communicate your ideas in written form that will be emailed to the secretary of the Visual Arts Division.
General information for prospective students is available on the UP website or contact Student Service Centre at (012) 420 3111.