Making a positive difference one person at a time – Impact factor by association.
To serve people is to serve God, serving God through serving people; “People oriented department” - BATHO PELE-UBUNTU - MENSE EERSTE - PEOPLE FIRST and empowerment is the road to success!
- The ENT Department at SBAH Hospital aims to promote and protect health and train our people to make a positive difference.
- We empower the educationally disadvantaged community of South Africa by uplifting and maintaining professionalism, accountability, responsibility and good communication among our staff and students and patients.
- We offer a high class, internationally recognised teaching and training programme.
- We promote high quality, scientifically relevant research at all times, published in peer reviewed journals.
- We strive to always render efficient patient care using a service improvement plan and treat our patients as our clients in a business plan model.
- We are committed to the provision of affordable, accessible, sustainable and quality health care for all our customers by uplifting the “Batho Pele” principles and following the 5 “C’s” (caring, cleanliness, competence, communication and cost effective).
Our Strategic Goals:
- To teach, educate and train (empower).
- To do research and publish.
- To render quality health care services.
- To improve accessibility to quality tertiary (specialised) health care services.
- To establish and implement an HIV/AIDS management programme with surgical outcomes.
- To focus on innovation improvements – clinical, device development.
MAJOR AREA OF THRUST IN THE COMING 5 YEARS:
A. HUMAN RESOURCES
- Empowerment/Accessibility: Redress of employment equity.
- Employment equity: equal opportunity for all, appoint on merit
- Observation of Employment Equity Act on a regular basis.
- Good communication and regular monthly meeting of staff, nurses, cleaners, registrars, management and consultant.
- Performance management agreement and appraisal.
- Career pathing, personal development training.
- Academic portfolio, registrar/consultant.
- Successful qualifications within record time. Best trained specialists.
B. SERVICE RENDERING
- Specialized area of Excellence: Tertiary and Quaternary Centre of Excellence
- Service improvement plan
- Specialized clinics: HIV, Allergy, Otology, Voice, Genetics, General ENT.
- Modern equipment and instrumentation; clinic, wards, theatre.
C. TEACHING, EDUCATION, TRAINING
- Regular workshops and in-service training for staff and students.
- Specialized areas of expertise
- Head and Neck Oncology – Laser surgery, Epidemiology
- Otology, Otosclerosis, old age hearing loss, sound protection, noise induced hearing loss.
- Voice professional
- Neuro-otology and balance
- Rhinology endoscopic surgery.
- HIV/AIDS in ENT manifestation - surgical outcomes, healing, complications and others.
- Genetics in ENT head and neck.
- Cochlear implants – disadvantaged patients.
D. RESEARCH, INNOVATION AND PUBLICATION
- Departmental research teams have access to a secretary, statistician and quarterly research assistance in the department.
- Encourage aggressive research in the unit by registrars, medical officers, and consultants.
- Cutting edge research in ENT of national and international credibility.
- Regular publications (minimum of 4 a year, 1 every 3 months.)
- Innovative medical designs in interventional surgery and devices in ENT fraternity.
- Regular in-service workshops: endoscopic sinus surgery, temporal bone, balance, tracheostomy care.
E. ADMINISTRATION AND INTERDEPARTMENTAL RELATION
- Efficient administration equals a wel run department.
- Delegation, responsibility and consultation management style; everybody is very valuable and is a leader in this department.
- Clearly defined job description.
- Website development and management.
F. FINANCIAL AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Budgeting and financial management committee (clinical business unit).
- Fundraising with workshop and seminars to maintain.
- Departmental equipment team; overseeing proper usage, maintenance and cost effectiveness.
- Cost effective departmental management principles.
G. TEACHING + TRAINING
- Highly competent and excellent students, specialists for African, international and national ENT medical problem conditions.
- Training and empowerment of health professionals is our pride. Solutions to the needs of the country: shortage of specialists – ENT and undergraduates – and doctors.