The Siyanqoba Mathematics Olympiad Training Programme (hereafter simply the Siyanqoba Programme) is a mathematics olympiad training programme for high school learners. The programme has regional centres across South Africa, with the Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics at the University of Pretoria being one of the regional centres for the Pretoria area.
The programme is targeted at mathematically talented learners who have a strong interest in mathematics. It is not a remedial programme and is not suited to learners who struggle with mathematics or who seek extra instruction on schoolwork.
Classes are presented to junior (Grades 8 and 9) and senior (Grades 10 to 12) learners free of charge. Under the present lockdown circumstances, classes will initially take place online, but may eventually be held in person on the Hatfield Campus of the University of Pretoria should this become feasible. The lecturers for 2022 are:
- Junior learners: Dr Ruaan Kellerman
- Senior learners: Dr Maya Thackeray
How to enter
How you register for the programme depends on whether you have previously participated in one of our olympiad programmes.
- If you have not previously participated in either the Siyanqoba Programme, or the South African Mathematics Team Competition (SAMTC), then you must first pass a selection test to join the Siyanqoba Programme in 2022. This test can be written online any time from 14:00 to 20:00 on Friday 15 April. The test will be timed and you will have 90 minutes to complete it. You will be able to access the test at the following website once it opens:
Only click on the above link when you are ready to write the test, because the timer will start as soon as the test is opened. You will need to be logged in to a Gmail account, and be able to open PDF documents, to write this test.
- If, on the other hand, you have previously participated in either the Siyanqoba Programme, or the South African Mathematics Team Competition (SAMTC), you can join the Siyanqoba Programme in 2022 without having to write the selection test, by simply adding your details at the following website by Friday 15 April:
Dates of classes
Classes will take place on Wednesday evenings from 17:30 to 19:00 on the following dates:
- 20 April
- 4 May
- 18 May
- 8 June
- 27 July
- 10 August
- 24 August
- 7 September
Other important dates
- Thursday 12 May: Round 2 of the South African Mathematics Olympiad
- Thursday 28 July: Round 3 of the South African Mathematics Olympiad
- Saturday 10 September: South African Mathematics Team Competition
Please contact the organiser for more information:
Dr Ruaan Kellerman
Office: Mathematics Building 2-28 (University of Pretoria, Hatfield Campus)
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (012) 420 2572