Johan W. Joubert is an Industrial Engineer with twenty years' experience in optimisation and simulation modelling. He has a particular interest in logistics and the behaviour associated with commercial vehicle movement.
He has been a visiting Professor at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zürich) in Switzerland, and the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU) in Vienna, Austria. Johan was also a Fellow in the Mobility Cultures in Megacities programme at the Technische Universität München (TUM), sponsored by the Institute for Mobility Research (ifmo), a research facility of BMW Group.
Johan is a member of the Centre for Transport Development and a Director of the Institute for City Logistics.
You can follow Johan's research activities on either Google Scholar or ResearchGate. Current research interests include:
- Freight behaviour modelling. How do trucks (and their drivers) behave?
- Multi-agent transport simulations, and specifically MATSim.
- Complex networks as applied to the connectivity of people and firms.
- Data science and its application to mobility.
Three postgraduate positions are currently available as part of the Waste RDI grant project.
BAN313: Industrial analysis*
BUY321: Simulation modelling
BPJ410: Final year project
BAN780: Industrial analysis (postgraduate)*
BOZ780: Operations research (postgraduate)
BUY780: Simulation modelling (postgraduate)
* These classes are supported by DataCamp, the most intuitive learning platform for data science. Learn R, Python and SQL. Students can take over 100+ courses by expert instructors on topics such as importing data, data visualization or machine learning and learn faster through immediate and personalised feedback on every exercise.
Please make an appointment via Calendly.