Exceptional Academic Achievers - The Outstanding Academic Achievers Awards recognise the overall contribution that senior professors make to the development of research, teaching and learning, and community engagement. These awards are valid for three years.
NRF-rated Researchers - The National Research Foundation’s (NRF) rating system is a key mechanism used by the University to identify excellence. The NRF rating system is a peer review process that enables the University to benchmark research at both national and international levels. It is a rigorous evaluation process and only about one tenth of all academic staff employed at South African universities have a rating. Thus, being NRF rated is in itself a significant achievement. These awards are valid for three years.
Young Researcher Awards - The Exceptional Young Researchers Awards are granted on the grounds of exceptional achievement in research, seen against the backdrop of the University’s strategic objectives of academic excellence, international competitiveness and local relevance. The award is only granted to researchers who have not yet achieved full professorial status, with the proviso that a specific individual can receive this award once only. Academics who have been evaluated by the NRF as P-rated researchers, also automatically attain the status of Exceptional Young Researchers.
2020 Academic Achiever's Award
[Click on the image above for more information and here for a UP Law news article regarding thie 2020 awards.]]
Vice-Chancellor’s Book Award
Professor Charles Ngwena for What is Africanness?, Centre for Human Rights
Exceptional Academic Achiever
Professor Frans Viljoen, Director: Centre for Human Rights
National Research Foundation-rated researchers
Professor Dire Tladi, Department of Public Law
Professor Birgit Kuschke, Department of Mercantile Law
Professor Koos Malan, Department of Public Law
2019 Academic Achievers' Awards and UP news article re the event
- Professor Steve Cornelius, Head of the Department of Private Law - exceptional academic achiever
- Professor Reghard Brits in the Department of Mercantile Law - Exceptional Young Researcher.
2019 NRF-rated researchers
- Other UP Law academics that were recognised for their research ratings: Professor André Boraine (B-rated), Prof Frans Viljoen (B-rated), Prof Philip Thomas (B-rated), Prof Anton Kok (C-rated), and Dr Gus Waschefort (Y-rated).
2018 Academic Achievers' Awards (low resolution PDF) and news article re the event
- Exceptional Academic Achievers - Prof Christof Heyns and Prof Ann Skelton
- Vice-Chancellor's Scholarly Book Award 2017 - Dr Reghard Brits - Real Security Law.
2018 NRF-rated Researchers
- B-rated Researchers: Prof Danny Bradlow and Prof Johan van der Vyver
- C-rated researchers: Prof Jacolien Barnard; Prof Monray Botha; Dr Reghard Brits; Prof Hermie Coetzee; Prof Magnus Killander; and Prof Stéfan Renke.
2017 Academic Achievers' Awards and YouTube video of the event
2016 Academic Achievers' Awards
2015 Academic Achievers' Awards
2014 Academic Achievers' Awards
2013 Academic Achievers' Awards
2012 Academic Achievers' Awards
2011 Exceptional Academic Achievers
Prof André Boraine, Head of the Department Procedural Law
Prof Christof Heyns, Co-director of ICLA
Prof Steve Cornelius
Prof Charles Fombad
2010 Exceptional Academic Achievers
Prof Frans Viljoen
Prof Karin van Marle
2009 Exceptional Academic Achievers
- Prof Trynie Boezaart (nee Davel)
2008 Exceptional Academic Achievers
- Prof André Boraine
- Prof Johan Scott
Exceptional Young Researcher Award
2008 Dux Docens Award
2007 Exceptional Academic Achievers
- Prof Christof Heyns
- Prof Frans Viljoen
2003 and 2006 Exceptional Academic Achiever
- Prof Trynie Boezaart (nee Davel)
1993, 1996, 1999, 2002 and 2005 Exceptional Academic Achiever
Leading Researchers (1908 to 2008)
Click for more information.