Welcome to the Department of Afrikaans
The Department of Afrikaans at UP focuses on the way in which language makes meaning possible, how one understands oneself and the world around one, and how one gives meaning to one’s existence. The way in which one gives meaning to the world is examined through the study of language and literature. This study, as is always the case when experiencing art, is satisfying and fun on the one hand, while it supplies one with tools to critically examine the way in which meaning is created on the other hand.
While the study of the Afrikaans language and literature therefore contributes to the broad creative foundation of the humanities, which is important for any career, it also offers one a very specific view of the world in the context of a language which originated at the southern point of Africa.
Tel: 012 420 4075
Humanities Building, 15th floor
Important information for undergraduate students 2021
Faculty of Humanities
1. Special examination dates: Students who qualified to write special examination must visit the Faculty website to check the examination dates.
2. Dismissed/Excluded: Visit the University website to get more information on the process of Appeal or click the following link: https://www.up.ac.za/students/article/2745816/faculty-appeals-for-readmission
Students are required to appeal online. Closing date to appeal: 31 January 2021
Faculty Appeals Committee will meet on the following dates:
28 January 2021
4 February 2021
11 February 2021
18 February 2021
Please note that once you have uploaded an appeal on the portal you will not be allowed to add or modify any information/documentation. It is therefore important to read the appeal guidelines. When uploading appeal motivation and supporting documents on your portal, please ensure that you submit under 2020 academic year.
3. Transferring students: Applications to transfer to the Faculty of Humanities in 2021 are currently closed. External students who have already applied are required to submit a stamped official academic record and the certificate of conduct on or before 31 January 2021.
4. Registration : Please click the following link to get more information on registration: https://www.up.ac.za/online-registration
5. Orientation : Please click the following link to get more information: https://www.up.ac.za/orientation