Consultation: Tuesdays 09:00-11:00
Michael Loubser is a lecturer in the Department of Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology at the University of Pretoria, South Africa. His interests include rock weathering, cold-climate studies and experimental design philosophy. In particular, he focuses on the role that underlying thought mechanisms might play in the conclusions that can be drawn from field and laboratory experiments and measurements.
- B.Sc. (Physics), University of Pretoria
- B.Sc. Honours (Geography), University of Pretoria
- M.Sc. (Geography), University of Pretoria
- ENV 101 - Introduction to Environmental Science (2011 - 2015; 2018 - 2019; 2021)
- GGY 156 - Introduction to Human Geography (2011 - 2017)
- GGY 166 - South African Geomorphology (2011 - 2017)
- GGY 252 - Process Geomorphology (2014 - present)
- GGY 265 - Geomorphology of the Built Environment (2020)
- GGY 718 - Southern African Geomorphology (2015 - 2017; 2020 - present)
- WKD 164 - Introduction to Meteorology (2011 - 2014; 2016 - 2017)
Research publications (since 2012)
Scopus H-index | ORCID ID
- Van der Hoven, C., Ubomba-Jaswa, E., van der Merwe, B., Loubser, M.J., Abia, A.K.L. (2017). The impact of various land uses on the microbial and physicochemical quality of surface water bodies in developing countries: Prioritisation of water resources management areas. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring and Management, 8, 280-289.
- Hedding, D.W., Hansen, C.D., Nel, W., Loubser, M.J., Le Roux, J., Meiklejohn, K.I. (2016). Rock mass loss on a nunatak in Western Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research, 48 (1), 1-8.
- Hansen, C.D., Meiklejohn, K.I., Nel, W., Loubser, M.J., van der Merwe, B.J. (2013). Aspect-controlled weathering observed on a blockfield in Dronning Maud land, Antarctica. Geografiska Annaler Series A: Physical Geography, 95, 305-313.
- Loubser, M.J. (2013). Weathering of basalt and sandstone by wetting and drying: A process isolation study. Geografiska Annaler Series A: Physical Geography, 95, 295-304.
- Haussmann, N.S., McIntyre, T., Bumby, A.J., Loubser, M.J. (2013). Referencing practices in physical geography: How well do we cite what we write? Progress in Physical Geography, 37, 543-549.
- Hedding, D.W., Meiklejohn, K.I., Le Roux, J.J., Loubser, M.J., Davis, J.K. (2010). Some observations of an Active Pronival Rampart at Grunehogna Peaks, Western Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica. Permafrost and Periglacial Processes, 21(4), 355-361.
- Sumner, P.D., Loubser, M.J. (2008). Experimental sandstone weathering using different wetting and drying moisture amplitudes. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 33(6), 985-990.