The Centre for Human Rights is looking for an experienced consultant with research expertise to conduct a study on the role of the media in fomenting and countering xenophobia in South Africa.
The successful candidate will be appointed for three months, from 1 September to 30 November 2022. This period covers researching, report writing, and the dissemination of the findings of the study at an online webinar which will be hosted on 5 December 2022 with relevant stakeholders. The research forms part of the anti-xenophobia project of the Migration Unit at the Centre for Human Rights. This project has received financial assistance from the European Union.
The consultant will be responsible for conducting research for and prepare a report on the role of the media in fomenting and countering xenophobia in South Africa. The research report is to be completed within three months of being contracted. The consultant will present the findings of the study at an online webinar to be hosted by the Migration Unit of the Centre for Human Rights, with participation from relevant stakeholders. The position is home-based.
- An advanced degree (e.g. masters) in a related field.
- Three years of professional experience with non-profit human rights focused organisations, research projects, advocacy campaigns or government offices
- Research experience on the rights of migrants in South Africa and the prevention of xenophobia
- Familiarity with international and South African human rights systems and treaties and frameworks relevant to migrants’ rights
Required competencies (skills, knowledge and behavioural attributes):
- Enthusiasm for migrants’ rights advocacy
- Excellent research and inter-personal skills
- Highly motivated with ability to meet deadlines
- Confidence and the ability to be proactive and work independently
In applying for this post, please attach the following documents and send to [email protected]:
- A comprehensive CV (1 page max).
- Motivation letter, in which applicants indicate how they meet the requirements and competencies for the position (1 page max).
- A proposed methodology for conducting the research and preparing the report (1 page max)
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
Closing date: 26 August 2022
Enquiries and submissions of applications to: [email protected]
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with the minimum requirements.