The Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression, and Sex Characteristics (SOGIESC) Unit of the Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law, is recruiting for the position of Student Project Associate for a six month contract beginning on 1 July 2019 and ending on 31 December 2019, renewable based on performance and continued funding. Currently registered UP students are encouraged to apply.
Download Terms of Reference
Bachelor’s degree in law or a related field such as social sciences.
A Master’s or doctorate degree in law or a related field such as social sciences
Required knowledge and competencies:
- Knowledge of both the South African and international legal and developmental framework around LGBTI rights.
- Familiarity of the South African and international LGBTI landscape in terms of networks, issues, histories and the political and legal landscape.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity towards LGBTI issues, challenges and individual and group needs.
- Proven competence in administrative work including organising workshops, seminars, conferences and trainings, updating and populating the Unit’s web page on a regular basis, being custodian of project and Unit materials and resources, organising meetings, taking minutes and following up on matters and tasks.
- Ability to plan and run online and media campaigns on pertinent and current LGBTI issues.
- Competence in effectively communicating organisational stands through statements and opinion pieces.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team spirit, conscientiousness and the ability to go the extra mile.
Recommended knowledge and competencies:
- Knowledge and competence in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating activities and short-term projects.
- Good budgeting and financial management and monitoring skills.
- Familiarity with local and international human rights bodies and the ability to work in cooperation with them with minimal supervision.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English. Knowledge of French, Portuguese or one South African language is an added advantage.
Competitive based on qualification and experience.
Closing date: 21 June 2019
Applications should be submitted with a CV and letter of motivation containing a self-evaluation related to the stipulated requirements of the position to [email protected]
For more information, please contact:
Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression, and Sex Characteristics (SOGIESC) Unit