Do you want to be a teacher?
View Undergraduate Faculty brochure
View 2021 Undergraduate Curriculum
View 2021 BEd Programme Information
We offer the following qualifications:
- Pre-school to grade 3 – Bachelor of Education (BEd): Foundation Phase Teaching Click here
- Grades 4 to 7 – BEd Intermediate Phase Teaching Click here
- Grades 7 to 12 - BEd Senior and Further Education and Training Phase Teaching Click here
- Higher Certificate in Sport Science Education Click here
Would you like to:
• Make a difference in the life of a child?
• Serve children, your community and your country?
• Ignite the spark of curiosity in children?
• Help children to become creative and thinking citizens?
• Experience the joy of seeing children learn to read, write and count?
• Experience on a daily basis the love for learning and the love of teaching?
• Make the world a better place?
Admission requirements for the Faculty of Education
Candidates with one of the following qualifications can apply:
• National Senior Certificate (NSC)
• Cambridge Level A
• Independent examinations Board (IEB)
To be able to gain access to the Faculty and specific programmes, prospective students require appropriate combinations of recognised subjects (NSC/Cambridge Level A/IEB), as well as certain level of achievement in these subjects.
Admission Point Score (APS)
The calculation of the APS is based on a candidate’s achievement in six 20-credit recognised subjects by using the NSC ratings that is the 1 to 7 scale of achievement – adding them together.
Thus, the highest APS that can be achieved is 42.
Life Orientation is excluded from the calculation.
Rating code Marks
7 Outstanding 80-100% 6 Meritorious 70-79% 5 Substantial 60-69% 4 Adequate 50-59% 3 Moderate 40-49% 2 Elementary 30-39% 1 Not achieved 0-38%
All programmes have minimum subject and level requirements
● Preliminary admission is based on the results obtained in the final Grade 11 examination. Yet, the final Grade 12 results will be the determining factor with regard to admission.
● Candidates with an APS of 28 and higher will be given preference.
● For the Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education, an APS of 20 and higher is required.
● With Mathematics Literacy, you will be able to enrol for the Foundation Phase Programme; the Intermediate Phase Programme as well as Languages; Art; Music and other Humanities Education specialization areas (but NOT Natural and Mathematical and Economic and Management Sciences).
● The Natural Sciences packages require Mathematics, passed with a rating code of 5 (60%-69%) in Grade 12, or Mathematics code (50%-59%) for Economics and Management Sciences and Physical Sciences electives.
● For the Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education, a selection process based on academic and sport achievements will take place.
Career opportunities when you have a BEd degree:
• Teach at pre-schools; primary schools and secondary schools. In addition, any BEd electives taken to the third year level, will allow you to enter study for an honours degree including Sciences; Humanities and Economics and Management Sciences.
• With a postgraduate qualification you may be considered for posts as University lecturers; educational psychologists; school principals; senior educational leaders; programme evaluators; curriculum designers; computer education experts; assessment specialists; education policy analysts; educational advisors, etc
• A Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education will allow a career in sport coaching.
To apply online: www.up.ac.za/fees-and-funding Students who want to apply for UP loans or UP funding must:
• First apply for admission to study at the University and wait to receive a student number
• Apply for funding as soon as the University has sent a student number, (even before they have been notified of whether their study application was successful or not) and should not wait for their final school-year end examination results before applying for funding
• Apply for UP funding between 1 August and 30 November of the year preceding the commencement of studies
• Apply on the University of Pretoria website at www.up.ac.za/fees-and-funding e.g.and NSFAS and Funza Lushaka
• Regularly follow-up their applications on the UP Portal ‘Student Centre’
• The Funza Lushaka Bursary from the Department of Basic Education is a bursary that aims to attract high performing students into the field of teaching. The bursaries are a multi- year commitment to fund undergraduate qualifications in priority areas as determined by the DBE, with selections made by the DBE and the Provincial Departments.
• Applications are open online at www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za from 1 October to the second week of January, before you start the BEd studies.
Closing dates for all applications
The closing date for applications is 30 September.
Visit applications at https://www.up.ac.za/online-application
Apply or submit applications for admission and for living in residences.
For all admission enquiries: Call Centre: 012 420 5546/ 5615
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]