Do you want to be a teacher?
View Undergraduate Faculty brochure
View 2022 Undergraduate Programme Information
BEd (Foundation Phase Teaching)
BEd (Intermediate Phase Teaching)
BEd (Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching)
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE): Further Education and Training Phase (FET) Teaching
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE): Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching
Higher Certificate in Sports Sciences
Education Degrees Information and Curriculum:
- Pre-school to grade 3 – Bachelor of Education (BEd): Foundation Phase Teaching Click here
- Grades 4 to 7 – BEd Intermediate Phase Teaching Click here
- Grades 7 to 12 - BEd Senior and Further Education and Training Phase Teaching Click here
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) programme:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Click here
- Higher Certificate in Sport Science Education Click here
Would you like to:
• Make a difference in the life of a child?
• Serve children, your community and your country?
• Ignite the spark of curiosity in children?
• Help children to become creative and thinking citizens?
• Experience the joy of seeing children learn to read, write and count?
• Experience on a daily basis the love for learning and the love of teaching?
• Make the world a better place?
Admission requirements for the Faculty of Education
Candidates with one of the following qualifications can apply:
• National Senior Certificate (NSC)
• Cambridge Level A
• Independent examinations Board (IEB)
To be able to gain access to the Faculty and specific programmes, prospective students require appropriate combinations of recognised subjects (NSC/Cambridge Level A/IEB), as well as certain level of achievement in these subjects.
Admission Point Score (APS)
The calculation of the APS is based on a candidate’s achievement in six 20-credit recognised subjects by using the NSC ratings that is the 1 to 7 scale of achievement – adding them together.
Thus, the highest APS that can be achieved is 42.
Life Orientation is excluded from the calculation.
Rating code Marks
7 Outstanding 80-100% 6 Meritorious 70-79% 5 Substantial 60-69% 4 Adequate 50-59% 3 Moderate 40-49% 2 Elementary 30-39% 1 Not achieved 0-38%
All programmes have minimum subject and level requirements
● Preliminary admission is based on the results obtained in the final Grade 11 examination. Yet, the final Grade 12 results will be the determining factor with regard to admission.
● Candidates with an APS of 28 and higher will be given preference.
● For the Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education, an APS of 20 and higher is required.
● With Mathematics Literacy, you will be able to enrol for the Foundation Phase Programme; the Intermediate Phase Programme as well as Languages; Art; Music and other Humanities Education specialization areas (but NOT Natural and Mathematical and Economic and Management Sciences).
● The Natural Sciences packages require Mathematics, passed with a rating code of 5 (60%-69%) in Grade 12, or Mathematics code (50%-59%) for Economics and Management Sciences and Physical Sciences electives.
● For the Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education, a selection process based on academic and sport achievements will take place.
Career opportunities when you have a BEd degree
• Teach at pre-schools; primary schools and secondary schools. In addition, any BEd electives taken to the third year level, will allow you to enter study for an honours degree including Sciences; Humanities and Economics and Management Sciences.
• With a postgraduate qualification you may be considered for posts as University lecturers; educational psychologists; school principals; senior educational leaders; programme evaluators; curriculum designers; computer education experts; assessment specialists; education policy analysts; educational advisors, etc
• A Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education will allow a career in sport coaching.
Closing dates for all applications
BEd and PGCE: As soon as the number of places available for this programme are filled, it will be closed for further applications.
Higher Certificate in Sports Science: The closing date for applications is 30 June.
Apply for admission and/or for living in residences by visit applications at https://www.up.ac.za/online-application
For all admission enquiries: Call Centre: 012 420 5546/ 5615
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]