Welcome to the University of Pretoria’s Disability Unit. The University of Pretoria has an institutional commitment to ensure an integrated and inclusive learning experience for students with disabilities. Accordingly, the Disability Unit aims to create an enabling environment by providing support to students with disabilities.We encourage you to register with the Disability Unit and visit our webpage regularly to keep abreast of any updates.
The Disability Unit operates within the Department of Student Affairs and supports students with disabilities in partnership with departments and faculties. The Disability Unit endeavours to establish a human rights culture at UP that allows for equal access and participation of students with disabilities in the UP learning environment. The Disability Unit facilitates academic accommodations in partnership with the university departments and faculty.
In efforts to create an integrated and inclusive learning environment for students with disabilities, the Disability Unit offers the following services:
- Assistive technological services: screenings, trainings and support to students with disabilities regarding a variety of assistive computer technologies and software applications available at the DU’s computer lab. Training sessions are available by request.
- Adapted text arrangements: Conversion of study material into accessible formats.
- Facilitation of test and examination accommodations for students with disabilities.
- Test and Exam Concession applications (relevant supporting medical report required and registration with DU).
- Orientation and mobility training.
- Academic support for students with learning disabilities.
- Referrals for recommended textbooks in electronic format.
- Accessible study venues and a computer lab.