The academic department is located in Steve Biko Academic Hospital, Pretoria. This location houses the offices of the HOD, surgeons, registrars and perfusionists. Cardiothoracic Surgery and Cardiovascular Perfusion wet labs are also found here. The departmental conference room is used for meetings as well as discussions and training for the department.
Surgical intervention is done in the dedicated Cardiothoracic Surgery Theatre located on level six of Steve Biko Academic Hospital. The Cardiothoracic ICU, which houses 6 functional ICU beds, as well as the Cardiothoracic Ward, is located on the same level.
Surgical procedures include: (but are not limited to)
· Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts
· Valve replacements, repairs, and Annuloplasty (Aortic, mital, tricuspid and pulmonary)
· Aortic Surgery
· Cyanotic and acyanotic congenital heart defect procedures
· General thoracic procedures
· Emergency cardiac and thoracic procedures
The out-patient clinic is located on level 3 of Steve Biko Academic Hospital and is run on Tuesdays.