Dr Coceka Mfundisi is the first woman to receive a Master of Medicine in Neurosurgery degree from the University of Pretoria. She now practices as a specialist neurosurgeon at Busamed Modderfontein private hospital, and has interests in neurotrauma, neuro-oncology and spinal surgery.
Her notable achievements include being a member of the Golden Lions Rugby Club Medical Committee, serving as a test match surgeon during international rugby matches. She is currently a member of the Health Professions Council of South Africa’s Fifth Medical Committee of preliminary enquiry. She is also a member of the executive committee of the Society of Neurosurgeons of South Africa.
On this episode she speaks about:
- Having the temperament of a surgeon.
- How farming fields alongside her family as a child helped her as a young surgeon.
- Fusing traditional African medicine with Western medicine.
- Not quitting on the way to her dreams, and being supported in her journey.
- Injustices in her field, and fighting for change.
Subscribe to the LeadUP Podcast today – click here to find LeadUP Podcast in your favourite podcast app, or go to www.up.ac.za/LeadUP and click on LeadUP Podcast. New episodes are out every second Monday.
LeadUP Podcast is a production of the University of Pretoria’s Alumni Office. Lennox Wasara hosts the podcast, and our team includes Elna Schütz and Samantha Castle. Louis Cloete Productions provides sound engineering services