MA in Applied Language Studies
Option: Translation and Interpreting
Mrs. R. Marais, HB 9-24, Tel: 012 420 4592, email: [email protected]
- An approved honours degree in translation and/or interpreting and/or language practice (or other comparable tertiary qualification – with the approval of Senate) worth 120 credits.
- An average of at least 65% for the honours degree.
- An average of at least 65% in the admissions test.
- The chosen language pair must include either English or Afrikaans (it may include both).
- The choice of the other language is dependent on whether it can be accommodated in a specific year.
Minimum Credits Required 
Core Modules 
Curriculum Credits Prerequisites
TRL 895 Mini-dissertation: Translation
and Interpreting 
Select five modules to the value of 100 credits from the following list:
FRN 866 Advanced Professional Translation  FRN 752, FRN 762
LEX 851 Lexicography 
TRL 800 Literary Translation (2)* 
TRL 801 Audiovisual Translation (2)** 
TRL 802 Copywriting (2)** 
TRL 803 Governance, Law, Economics and Culture 
TRL 810 HLT in Translation Practice (2)  TRL 711
TRL 811 Interpreting: Introduction 
TRL 812 Consecutive Interpreting  TRL 811
TRL 813 Simultaneous Interpreting  TRL 811, TRL 812
TRL 814 Court Interpreting  TRL 811
TRL 851 Translation Theory* 
* TRL 851: Compulsory for students who wish to do their mini-dissertation with a focus on translation.
** Prior experience at honours level is required if students wish to take this module.