BA Honours in Translation and Professional Writing
Mrs. R. Marais, HB 9-24, Tel: 012 420 4592, email: [email protected]
- An approved three-year bachelor’s degree (or other comparable tertiary qualification – with the approval of Senate) worth 360 credits, with a minimum of 34 credits in languages, linguistics or a language-related discipline.
- At least 30 credits at third-year level in one language, and at least 24 credits at first-year level in a second language.
- An average of at least 65% in each of the two languages.
- An average of at least 65% in the admissions test.
- The chosen language pair must include either English or Afrikaans (it may include both).
- The choice of the other language is dependent on whether it can be accommodated in a specific year.
Minimum Credits Required 
Core Modules 
Elective Modules 
TRL 700 Research 
The following two modules are compulsory:
TRL 710 Translation Principles and Techniques 
TRL 711 HLT in Translation Practice 
One of the following modules is also compulsory.
Choose according to your language combination:
AFR 767 Redaksionele Versorging 
AFR 758 Advanced Editing: African Languages 
DTS 751 German Stylistics 
ENG 777 Editing 
FRN 762 Principles and Practice of Professional Translation (French) 
Select two of the following modules:
FRN 752 Semantics and Interpreting (French) 
LEX 710 Terminology 
TRL 712 Foundations of Interpreting 
TRL 713 Audiovisual Translation: Subtitling 
TRL 751 Literary Translation 
AFR 711 Afrikaanse Skeppende Skryfwerk* 
ENG 780 Creative Writing* 
LCC 717 Introduction to Copywriting 
* Students may take either AFR 711 or ENG 780, but not both.