Originally instituted in 1998, the Student Computing Services Division has a proud history of supporting the academic functions of the University of Pretoria. Starting from a small computer room hosting 40 computers, our services have since expanded to almost a hundred buildings, with multiple facilities available on each of our campuses.
Managing and maintaining over 6000 computers, our facilities are proud to host more than Two Million visitors each year, providing a wide range of technology-based functions to uphold the Vision and Strategy of each of the Faculties we service.
As part of the Unit for Academic IT, our services focus on the following areas:
- The provision of computer classroom facilities installed with high-end computer equipment, classroom management systems, audio-visual technologies, and state-of-the-art software packages.
- Computer-Based Testing facilities adhering to the regulations provided for testing centres by a number of certification authorities.
- A large number of open-access computers available at campus or at residence to students requiring computer systems for academic purposes.
- Wi-fi access, printing, account support, software installations, and other services are available to all registered students at all our facilities.
- A dedicated team to provide support to students making use of their own computing devices while studying.
- Recycling stations for paper and electronic devices are set up throughout the facilities.
Our facilities are managed by a team of highly experienced IT Professionals, with an average of 15 years experience in the field. Additionally, our Student Assistant work programme has provided work experience for thousands of students over the last two decades.