There will not be an intake of new students for each degree every year. It therefore remains the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the degree they wish to apply for, will indeed be offered, by contacting the relevant head of department or viewing the department webpage.
- CA(SA) or CTA or BCom Honours degree in Accounting Sciences or equivalent, or LLB or equivalent postgraduate diploma.
- A candidate may be refused admission to a master’s degree by the head of the department if he/she does not comply with the standard of competence in the subject as determined by the department – with the proviso that a candidate who does not comply with the required level of competence, may be admitted, provided that he/she completes additional study assignments and/or examinations.
- The head of department concerned may set additional admission requirements. Specific departments have specific requirements for admission. The number of students will be determined in line with the growth strategy of the University of Pretoria as approved by the Executive. Allowance will be made for the diversity profile of students.
- A candidate may be refused admission to a master’s degree by the relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee if he/she does not comply with the standard of competence in the subject as determined by the department – with the proviso that a candidate who does not comply with the required level of competence, may be admitted, provided that he/she completes additional study assignments and/or examinations.
- The relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee may set additional admission requirements.
- Specific departments have specific requirements for admission.
- The number of students will be determined in line with the growth strategy of the University of Pretoria as approved by the Executive.
- Allowance will be made for the diversity profile of students.
Other programme-specific information
- A number of short courses on credit bearing level are being offered by the Unit for Forensic Accounting within the Department of Auditing which could hold articulation possibilities towards the postgraduate programmes offered by the Unit.
- The programme is presented by means of the Web and five (5) day contact sessions. For the Research methodology module (FRM 809) a two (2) day contact session will be held. Attendance of these contact sessions is compulsory.
Articulation and accreditation (For short courses completed at credit bearing level at Enterprises University of Pretoria)
Candidates who have completed a corresponding short course at Enterprises University of Pretoria at a NQF level 8, may articulate towards the MPhil (Fraud Risk Management) and will receive 15 credits in respect of the equivalent module offered in the MPhil (Fraud Risk Management) degree programme.
Articulation is only possible where the following requirements have been met:
- The candidate must have obtained at least a final mark of 60% in the corresponding short course.
- The candidate must have completed the corresponding short course within a period of 3 (three) years before date of enrolment for the MPhil (Fraud Risk Management).
Examinations and pass requirements
The pass mark for both a dissertation and a mini-dissertation is 50%. The provisions regarding pass requirements for dissertations, contained in General Regulation G.12.2, apply mutatis mutandis to mini-dissertations.
A pass mark of at least 50% is required in the examination of each module.
Promotion to next study year
- Candidates must obtain at least 80 credits in the first year to register for the second-year modules.
- Candidates will not be allowed to register more than twice for the same module.
- Candidates may register for a maximum of two outstanding modules (other than Research methodology (FRM 809)) together with FRM 808 (Research article).
- Candidates must pass five modules before the research article may be submitted for evaluation by the study leader.
- A maximum of two years after first registration will be allowed for the completion of the degree provided that the Dean may, in exceptional cases, and on recommendation of the head of the department concerned, approve a fixed limited extension of the period of study.
Research methodology (FRM 809) is a prerequisite for the Research article (FRM 808). Students will only be allowed to register for the Research article (FRM 808) after 4 (four) coursework modules, and the module on Research methodology (FRM 809) have been completed, thus with only 2 (two) coursework modules outstanding. For each of the modules FRM 801 – 806, a student will be required to submit one research report in each of the modules. The research reports will contribute 40% of the final mark for the module. An examination in each of the modules (FRM 801 - 806) will constitute the remaining 60% towards the final mark. For FRM 809 an acceptable research proposal is required.
The MPhil candidate must submit and present a research proposal. The module FRM 809 will prepare the student in writing a research proposal. A candidate will work under the guidance of a supervisor to develop a detailed research proposal according to faculty and departmental guidelines and regulations.
Dissertations/mini-dissertations, curricula and modules
- The degree programme requires that a dissertation/mini-dissertation must be submitted in a field of study chosen from the fields covered for the honours degree, provided that the Dean may, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee, approve the replacement of the required dissertation by the successful completion of a prescribed number of module credits and a mini-dissertation/research article.
- Information on modules, credits and syllabi is available, on request, from the relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee.
- A module in Research Methodology is compulsory in all programmes. The Dean may, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee, waive the prerequisites.
- Sufficient number of bound copies of the dissertation/mini-dissertation must be submitted to the Head: Student Administration for examination, after permission is granted by the supervisor.
Article for publication
The Dean may require, before or on submission of a dissertation/mini-dissertation, the submission of a draft article for publication to the supervisor. The draft article should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the dissertation/mini-dissertation and be approved by the supervisor concerned. The supervisor should then have the opportunity to take the paper through all the processes of revision and resubmission as may be necessary and/or appropriate in order to achieve publication.
Submission of dissertation/mini-dissertation
A dissertation/mini-dissertation is submitted to the Head: Student Administration/departmental Postgraduate Office, before the closing date for the various graduation ceremonies as announced annually.
For examination purposes, a student must, in consultation with the supervisor, submit a sufficient number of bound copies and/or e-copies of the dissertation/mini-dissertation, printed on good quality paper and of good letter quality, to the Head: Student Administration/departmental Postgraduate Office. Permission to submit the dissertation/mini-dissertation in unbound form may be obtained from the supervisor concerned on condition that a copy of the final approved dissertation/mini-dissertation is presented to the examiners in bound format or electronic format.
In addition to the copies already mentioned, each successful student must submit a bound paper copy as well as two electronic copies of the approved dissertation/mini-dissertation to the Head: Student Administration/departmental Postgraduate Office in the format specified by the faculty and in accordance with the minimum standards set by the Department of Library Services, before 15 February for the Autumn graduation ceremonies and before 15 July for the Spring graduation ceremonies, failing which the degree will only be conferred during a subsequent series of graduation ceremonies.