There will not be an intake of new students for each degree every year. It therefore remains the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the degree they wish to apply for, will indeed be offered, by contacting the relevant head of department or viewing the department webpage.
- Relevant honours degree
PGDip in Investigative and Forensic Accounting
- A cumulative weighted average of at least 60% for the honours degree or LLB degree or postgraduate diploma
Credit-bearing short courses
Refer to Section A5 in the General Academic Regulations.
Articulation and accreditation
Candidates who have completed a corresponding short course at Enterprises University of Pretoria at an NQF level 8, may articulate towards the MPhil (Fraud Risk Management) and will receive 15 credits in respect of the equivalent module offered in the MPhil (Fraud Risk Management) degree programme.
Articulation is only possible where the following requirements have been met:
- The candidate must have obtained at least a final mark of 60% in the corresponding short course.
- The candidate must have completed the corresponding short course within a period of 3 (three) years before date of enrolment for the MPhil (Fraud Risk Management)
Examinations and pass requirements
The pass mark for both a dissertation and a mini-dissertation is 50%. The provisions regarding pass requirements for dissertations, contained in General Academic Regulation G36, apply with the necessary changes to mini-dissertations.
A pass mark of at least 50% is required in the examination of each module.
Promotion to next study year
- Candidates must obtain at least 80 credits in the first year to register for the second-year modules.
- Candidates will not be allowed to register more than twice for the same module.
- Candidates may register for a maximum of two outstanding modules (other than Research methodology (FRM 809)) together with FRM 808 (Research article).
- Candidates must pass five modules before the research article may be submitted for evaluation by the study leader.
- A maximum of two years after first registration will be allowed for the completion of the degree provided that the Dean may, in exceptional cases, and on recommendation of the head of the department concerned, approve a fixed limited extension of the period of study.
Research methodology (FRM 809) is a prerequisite for the Research article (FRM 808). Students will only be allowed to register for the Research article (FRM 808) after 4 (four) coursework modules, and the module on Research methodology (FRM 809) have been completed, thus with only 2 (two) coursework modules outstanding. For each of the modules FRM 801 – 806, a student will be required to submit one research report in each of the modules. The research reports will contribute 40% of the final mark for the module. An examination in each of the modules (FRM 801 - 806) will constitute the remaining 60% towards the final mark. For FRM 809 an acceptable research proposal is required.
The MPhil candidate must submit and present a research proposal. The module FRM 809 will prepare the student in writing a research proposal. A candidate will work under the guidance of a supervisor to develop a detailed research proposal according to faculty and departmental guidelines and regulations.
Dissertations/mini-dissertations, curricula and modules
Refer to General Academic Regulations G37, G38 and G39.
The degree programme requires that a dissertation be submitted in a field of study selected from the fields covered in the honours degree.
Information on modules, credits and syllabi is available, on request, from the relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee.
A module in Research Methodology is compulsory in all programmes. The Dean may, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department/Postgraduate Committee, waive the prerequisites.
Article for publication
Refer to General Academic Regulation G39.13.
University of Pretoria Programme Qualification Mix (PQM) verification project
The higher education sector has undergone an extensive alignment to the Higher Education Qualification Sub-Framework (HEQF) across all institutions in South Africa. In order to comply with the HEQSF, all institutions are legally required to participate in a national initiative led by regulatory bodies such as the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), the Council on Higher Education (CHE), and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). The University of Pretoria is presently engaged in an ongoing effort to align its qualifications and programmes with the HEQSF criteria. Current and prospective students should take note that changes to UP qualification and programme names, may occur as a result of the HEQSF initiative. Students are advised to contact their faculties if they have any questions.