The Department is the largest in the School of Health Care Sciences.
A leading global, excellent and competitive department that is responsive to the diverse needs of the increasingly multicultural/cosmopolitan community through the provision of diversified, intellectual solutions to challenges facing the South African community and beyond. The Department strives toward quality education, community engagement and research.
- To instil strong work ethics and positive values fundamental to the provision of a conducive environment for quality education
- To be accommodative of students and staff from diverse backgrounds and to institute effective ways of mentoring and nurture talents
- To harness innovation through research and promote the spirit of community engagement
- To promote collaboration and cooperation with other departments and health institutions in exploring effective solutions to healthcare challenges in South Africa through evidence based research
- Ensuring that students become creative, responsible and productive future leaders.
- Provide excellent academic education where student are recruited, trained and placed according to local, national and international needs
- Create, provide and nurture life-long learning opportunities.
The mission of is consistent with the mission statements of the University of Pretoria, the Faculty of Health Science and the School for Health Care Sciences.