The mission of the ITI is to advance the knowledge and skills of people in terms of technological innovation and the management of technology through research, through interaction with industry, the government and other research institutes, as well as the support of training initiatives.
The Vision of ITI is
- to build a knowledge base through multidisciplinary research in the management aspects relating to technological innovation, the management of technology, technology transfer, technology policy and related issues. International contact and co-operation is deemed to be an essential and important facet of the ITI's operation;
- to become the hub in South Africa of a network of organisations and individuals – typically from industry, government and other academic and research institutions – with an interest in the management of technology and innovation;
- to foster a greater awareness with regard to importance of technological innovation and elevate the level of knowledge in this area;
- to make research results available to the academic community, industry, government and other interested parties;
- to support education in its areas of interest through research, at undergraduate and postgraduate level, as well as through continuing education courses;
- to facilitate technology transfer between the University and the industry.