Purpose of the PhD
A PhD graduate has an in-depth and broad knowledge of a specialized area of the discipline, is well versed in the scientific method and has proven through independent and guided research that he/she can apply the scientific method in a scientific study to make an original contribution to the discipline. Therefore, the objective of the doctoral study is to guide students to do original research.
The thesis should be an original contribution towards knowledge and insight of the discipline. The research should be suitable for at least two publications in an accredited scientific journal. The thesis must show clearly that the candidate
- is familiar with the nature and objective of his/her study;
- has satisfactory knowledge of the relevant literature;
- has mastered the research methods used in the study;
- has a good knowledge of the underlying theory/ies and the application of the scientific method;
- is able to evaluate the scientific implications and meaning of the finding.
Steps to follow