Effective teaching and learning are key to fulfilling the primary function of the University of Pretoria. With a commitment to this role, the Faculty of Health Sciences is proud to produce knowledgeable and high-level skilled graduates in line with the needs of the South African economy and society. Quality education means being able to sustain academic excellence for future education purposes by being able to replenish our own human capital needs and those of other knowledge institutions. A curriculum based on training through service delivery produces high-level professionals in the public and private sectors. Our facilities, admission policies and curricula are continually reviewed and modified to meet constantly changing international trends and standards as well as national health care needs.
The teaching and learning philosophy of the Faculty is fully aligned with the University’s model and includes:
- the use of blended learning (ie face-to-face teaching complemented and enhanced by innovative use of electronic media)
- inquiry-based and research-led pedagogical approaches
- learning through partnerships with the local communities
- strong student support structures
- development opportunities for lecturers to flourish and excel as teachers and scholars