Fritz van Graan graduated as mechanical engineer at UP in 1983, whereafter he worked at the CSIR as a research engineer in thermodynamics and heat mechanics for two years. He completed his BEng(Hons) in 1985, while he was working at Armscor as a systems and design engineer for three years.
He joined the Department of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering of the University of Pretoria as Lecturer in 1988 and also worked as a consultant engineer in the field of vibration isolation, component development and design engineering. He obtained his MEng in 1995.
From 2004 he managed his own business in manufacturing of anti-vibration equipment and components and lectured part-time at UP. He joined the Department of Civil Engineering in 2008 as a Senior lecturer. He is also working as a consultant engineer in the field of engine development, vibration isolation and design and manufacturing of components.
He is a registered professional engineer.
- SWK 122: Mechanics
- SWK 210: Strength of Materials
- SKE 110: Introduction to Structures
- SSC 412: Research project
Current Research interests
- Assisting a group in developing a rotor-type fuel engine.
- Characterising of poly-urethane elastomers.
- Research in the field of adhering elastomers to metals and other materials.
- Expansion energy of materials when heated up.