Walter Burdzik is a Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Pretoria. He received his degrees from the University of Pretoria and has been involved in timber research and structural timber design for the last 30 years. Walter runs one of the few recognized timber-testing facilities in South Africa and is often involved in queries surrounding the importing of structural timber and wood based products. He is also involved in the all the SANS committees charged with writing the South African timber design codes and specifications that have to do with wood based structural products. His fields of interest also include steel, concrete and masonry design.
- Third year timber design course.
- Second and third year Theory of Structures for Architectural students. These courses include concrete, masonry, timber and steel design
- Post graduate Advanced Timber design as well as post graduate Basic Structural Analysis
Current Research interests
- Bracing of timber trussed roofs
- T-bracing of timber truss web members
- Multiple-ply girder trusses
- Composite sections of brittle materials that are connected by means of flexible connectors
- Timber I and box beams
Publications list (Google Scholar profile)
Current research students:
Masters Degree Students: