1. Lownie, J.F., Lemmer, J., Sykes, L.M. (1989) Chronic maxillary sinusitis resulting from displacement of
impression material into the maxillary antrum: A case report. Journal of the Dental Association of South Africa, 44,
2. Touyz, L.Z.G., Tuit, C.M., Sykes, L.M., Krawitz, H. (1991) Mouth care of patients undergoing irradiation of the
head and neck. The South African Medical Journal, 80, 2, 419-420.
3. Sykes, L.M. (1996) Custom made ocular prostheses: A clinical report. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry,75,1,
4. Sykes, LM. (1996) Scar traction appliance for a patient with microstomia: A clinical report. The Journal of
Prosthetic Dentistry, 76,4, 464-465.5.
5. Sykes, LM and Coogan, MM (1997) Yeast counts as a measure of host resistance in dental patients. The Journal
of DASA, 52,1, 19-23.
6. Sykes, LM (1999) Oral management of the irradiated head and neck cancer patients. SADJ,54, 1, 59-62.
7. Sykes LM, Essop ARM (1999) A feeding adaptation for a baby with a cleft palate. SADJ, August, 54,8, pp.369-
8. Sykes LM, Essop ARM and Veres EM (1999) The use of custom-made conformers in the treatment of ocular
defects. JPD,82,3, 362-365.
9. Sykes LM, Essop ARM (2000) Prostheses for acquired maxillary defects with emphasis on flexible silicone
obturators. Journal of SADA, 55, 8, 428-432.
10. Sykes LM, Essop, ARM (2000) A combination intraoral and extraoral prosthesis used for rehabilitation of a
patient treated for cancrum oris: A clinical report. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry June 2000, 83, 6, 613-616.
11. Essop ARM, Sykes LM, Wolfaardt JF, Chandler, HD and Becker PJ (2000) The elastic limit of nickel-containing
and nickel-free cobalt-chromium circumferential clasps. SADJ, 55, 10, pp539-543.
12. Essop ARM, Salt SA, Sykes LM, Chandler HD and Becker PJ (2000) The flexibility of titanium clasps compared
with cobalt-chromium clasps. SADJ 55, 12 pp672-677.
13. Sykes LM and Breitz LR (2001) Prosthetic restoration following maxillary trauma utilizing a fixed removable
implant-supported prosthesis - A case report. SADJ 56,1,pp28-30.
14. Sykes LM, Essop ARM “An eight year survey of patients treated in the maxillofacial prosthetic Unit at Wits”
Submitted to SADJ, April 2001, 56, 4, 198-202.
15. Sykes LM “An interim extra-oral prosthesis used for the rehabilitation of a patient treated for osteoradionecrosis
of the mandible: A clinical report”, JPD August 2001, 86, 2, 130-134.
16. Sykes LM, Sukha AK “Potential risk of serious infections in the diabetic patient: A clinical report” The JPD,
December 2001,86;6; 569-173.
17. Sykes LM, Dullabh HD & Sukha AK (2002) “The use of technopolymer clasps in prostheses for patients due to
have radiotherapy” SADJ Jan. 57; 1:29-32.
18. Sykes LM, Dullabh HD, Chandler HD, Bunn B, Essop ARM (2002) Flexibility of Technopolymer clasps
compared with cobalt-chromium and titanium clasps. SADJ, 57;5: 166-171.
19. Sykes LM, Wolfaardt JF and Sukha AK (2002) prosthodontic rehabilitation of a patient with total avulsion of the
maxilla: A clinical report. JPD 88;4: 362-366.
20. Sykes LM, Sukha AK (2003) A mechanically retained, 4-part oral and facial prosthesis: A clinical report. SADJ
Feb 2003, 58(1) 11-15.
21. Sykes LM, Dullabh HD (2003) Prosthodontic treatment of the edentulous adult cleft palate patient. SADJ March
2003; 58 (2)64-72.
22. Sykes LM, Du Plessis F, Essop ARM (2003) Cancrum Oris- Prosthetic Aspects of treatment. SADJ 58;10:14-
23. Sykes LM, Parrott AM, Owen P & Snaddon DR (2004) Application of Rapid prototyping technology in
maxillofacial prosthetics. IJP, 17;4: 454-9.
24. Sykes LM, Nelson JT, Parrott A, Skews BW, (2006) An investigation into colour recipe prediction for use in
dentistry. SADJ, April 61(3); 102-108.25. Al Kadi H, Sykes LM and Vally Z (2006) Accuracy of the Raypex-4 and
Propex apex locators in detecting Horizontal and Vertical root fractures SADJ, July; 61, 6, 244-247. (This paper
was also the SADA Young Essayist Award for the best publication in 2007).
26. Sykes LM (2007) Dentine Hypersensitivity: A review of its aetiology, pathogenesis and management. SADJ, 62;
27. Sykes LM, Gugushe TS (2007) New methods for teaching Oral Biology to dental students. SAJHE, 21 (2) 334-
28. Sykes LM, Ramdhin P (2007) Culture, Habits, Additions, Omissions and Substitutions – could spell dental
chaos. SADJ, 2007; 62;8,354-357
29. Goosens IC, Kemp PL, Bredell MG, Sykes LM (2008) Implant retained nasal prosthesis for a child with
congenital arhinia – A case report. SADJ, August, 63;7, 390-392.
30. Dullabh HD, Sykes LM (2008) The accuracy of three impression transfer techniques for implant supported
prostheses. SADJ Sept;63;8,458-65.
31. Sykes LM, Buleni TCN (2009) A simple method to ensure sufficient occlusal reduction in fixed prosthodontics.
SADJ February; 64,1,22-23.
32. Sykes LM, Du Plessis JB, Gugushe TS, Harris MJP (2009) Introducing problem based learning – difficulties and
possible solutions. SADJ, Vol 64, No 6 266-269.
33. Sykes LM, Tadi R, DuPlessis J, Gugushe T (2010) Ethical dilemmas and financial burdens faced by clinical
dental students in a “quota-driven” curriculum. SADJ, Vol 2, No 2 48-51.
34. Sykes LM, Owen CP (2010) Student’s guide to complete denture construction. SADJ Vol 65, 9: 4360437.
35. Sykes LM, Dullabh H (2012) Student’s vulnerability in educational research. SADJ June 2012, Vol 67, no 5
36. JH van den Heever, LM Sykes, F du Plessis. The scope of maxillofacial prosthodontics. SADJ, November 2012,
37. Z Vally, LM Sykes, ME Aspeling, J van de Merwe, R Ballyram. In vitro comparison of the compressive strengths
of seven different provisional crown materials. SADJ March 2013, Vol 68 no 2 p62 - p65
38. D Herbst, H Dullabh, L Sykes, C Vorster. Evaluation of surface characteristics of titanium and cobalt chromium
implant abutment materials, SADJ September 2013, Vol 68 no 8 p350 - p356.
39. Lekay-Adams M-R, Sykes LM, du Plessis F. Prosthetic challenges in a patient with ocular evisceration and
global preservation: a case report. SADJ February 2014, Vol 69 no 1 p15 - p17
40. Harryparsad A, Dullabh HD, Sykes LM, Herbst D. The effects of hydrochloric acid on all-ceramic restorative
materials: An in-vitro study. SADJ, April 2014, 89, no 3, 104-109
41. R Doolabh, HD Dullabh, LM Sykes. A comparison of preload values in gold and titanium dental implant
retaining screws. SADJ August 2014, Vol 69 no 7 p316 - p320
42. NA Fernandes, ZI Vally, LM Sykes. The longevity of restorations – a literature review. SADJ, October 2015, Vol
70; No 9, p410-413
43.LM Sykes, A Uys, H Bernitz. Importance of record keeping in Forensic odontology: A case discussion and
general medico-legal guidelines for all practitioners. SADJ June 2016, Vol 71, no 5, pp224-227
44. NA Fernandes, J van den Heever, L Sykes, H Kluge. Nasal reconstruction of a patient with complete congenital
arhinia: A clinical report. JPD; June 2016; 116: 924-927.
45. LM Sykes, F Gani, Z Vally. Statistical terms Part 1: The meaning of the MEAN, and other statistical terms
commonly used in medical research. SADJ, July 2016, Vol 71 (6) 274-278.
46. LM Sykes, F Gani, H Dullabh. Statistical terms Part 2: Principles of research study design: Understanding the
options, indications and limitations. SADJ August 2016, Vol 71 (7) 319-323.
47. LM Sykes, M Comley, L Kelly. Availability, indications for use and main ingredients of mouthwashes in six major
supermarkets in Gauteng. SADJ August 2016, Vol 71 (7), 306-313.
48. LM Sykes, F Gani, AJ Jagathpal. Beyond statistics: Part 3: Getting started with Research. SADJ, 72,8,362-364.
49. LM Sykes, PD Brandt, WG Evans. The ethics of research: Part 4: Safeguarding the scientist, protecting the
participant. SADJ;71, 9, 412-414.
50. LM Sykes, HD Dullabh,P Brandt. WG Evans. Treatment versus Research: Part 5: Bridging the Boundaries.
SADJ November 2016; 71; 10, 527-529.
51. LM Sykes, A Bhayat, H Bernitz.The Effects of the Refugee Crisis on Age Estimation Analysis over the Past 10
Years: A 16-Country Survey. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2017, 14(6), 630; doi:10.3390/ijerph14060630
52. LM Sykes, WG Evans, PD Brandt, AMP Harris. The research focus question: Part 6: Finding the flaws,
explaining the errors, and suggesting solutions. SADJ, 2017, 72;1, 36-39.
53. LM Sykes, WG Evans, HD Dullabh, ZI Vally. Finally Finished: part 7: The writing sequence. SASDJ March
2017; 72,2; 80-82.
54. LM Sykes, A Harryparsad, WG Evans, F Gani. Social Media and dentistry. Part 8: Ethical, legal and
professional concerns with the use of internet sites by health care professionals. SADJ; April 2017, 72, 3, 132-136.
54 (b). D Herbst, HD. Dullabh, LM Sykes, Döman. Bond strength of three cements on two different ceramic
substructures. SADJ. Accepted – await publication.
55. H Dullabh, D Herbst, LM Sykes, Biseswar N. Biaxial Flexural strength of three oxide ceramic cores. SADJ
March 2017, 72, 2; 56-61
56.Leanne M Sykes, Dirk Herbst, Hemant Dullabh, Nelson Fernandes. Comparison of alveolar osteitis with post
implant removal osteitis. (Can you get a dry socket after implant removal)? SADJ, SADJ July 2017, Vol 72 no 6
p278 - p280
57.LM Sykes, A Harryparsad, F Gani, ZI Vally, WG Evans. “In my hands”: Part 9: The case for case reports. SADJ,
May 2017, 72, 4 184-187.
58. NA Fernandes, J van den Heever, LM Sykes. "Immediate implant placement and provsionalization following
tumor-resective surgery in the midfacial region: A case series." (JOPR-16-581.R1) doi: 10.1111/jopr.12686 Journal
of Prosthodontics, 2017; 1-6
59. LM Sykes, Z Vally, WG Evans. Practicing beyond your expertise. Part 10. Who’s to blame, who’s to name?
SADJ June 2017, Vol 72 no 5 p230 -233.
60.LM Sykes, WG Evans, F Gani. “In my mouth”: Part 11: Ethical concerns regarding dental over-treatment and
under-treatment. SADJ 2017, Vol 72,6, 281-283
61. LM Sykes,A Harryparsad, WG Evans. Dental images: Part 12: Ensuring patients’ understanding, acceptance
and consent to all possible usages. SADJ 2017, Vol 72,7, 336-338
62. LM Sykes, WG Evans, F Gani, P Nethonando. Part 13. Issuing Medical Certificates: How sick do you have to
be to actually “Be sick”? SADJ September 2017, Vol 72 no 7 p336 - p338
63.LM Sykes, WG Evans, R Doolabh. “How do they know what they know?”: Learning to be critical when reading
scientific papers. SADJ 2017, Vol
64. LM Sykes, WG Evans, HD Dullabh. Negligence versus Malpractice. Part 14: The “Reasonable Person Rule”.
SADJ 2017, Vol 72,9, 430-432
65. LM Sykes, WG Evans, F Gani, ZI Vally, HD Dullabh. Part 15. Secondary use of unethically obtained data: Fidty
shades of grey/ aye/nay. SADJ 2017, 72,10, 470-472.
66. LM Sykes, WG Evans, HA Cooke, H Dullabh, D Herbst. Informed Consent. Part 16: It’s more than a matter of
“Been there, done that, got the signature.” SADJ 2017, Vol
67 Nel S, Davidson, CL, Uys A, Sykes LM, Bernitz H. Fragmentary tooth root development: biological and forensic
dental implications. SADJ 2017; 72, 10. 466-469.
68. Immediate implant placement and provisionalization following tumor-resective surgery in the midfacial region: A
case series. Fernandes N, van den Heever J, Sykes LM; ACP 2017; doi 10.1111/jopr.12686
69. NA Fernandes, GO Patterson, LM Sykes. Chronic apical periodontitis- a criterion for endodontic failure? SADJ
Accepted for publication 2018
70.LM Sykes, WG Evans, G Buchanan, N Warren, N Fernandes. To pen or to probe. Prescribing versus treating,
how to decide. SADJ 2018, 73; 1. 53-55.
71. LM Sykes, WG Evans, HD Dullabh. Patients are people. Treating the person, not the problem. SADJ 2018,
March 73,2, 98-100.
72. LM Sykes, WG Evans, LG Lowe, JL Shackleton. The final chapter. Part 20: Embracing the ageing patient.
SADJ, 2018, 73,3, 172-175.
73.NA Fernandes, GO Patterson, LM Sykes. Detecting chronic apical periodontitis for improved endodontic
success. SADJ; 73, 5, 359-361
74.Mostert VC, Jonker CH. An audit of root canal treatments completed by students and dentists at an academic hospital. South African Dental Journal. 2016 May;71(4):170-175.
75. Mostert VC, Postma TC. The capacity of the Oral Health Centre, University of Pretoria, to complete root canal treatments. South African Dental Journal. 2016 Sep;71(8):356-60.
76. Mostert VC. Reasons why South African dentists chose a career in Dentistry, and later opted to enter an academic environment. South African Dental Journal. 2018 Apr;73(3):141-5.
Harryparsad A, Dullabh HD & Herbst D In-Vitro investigation into the long-term effects of hydrochloric acid on all-ceramic restorative materials. Microscopic Society of Southern Africa.2012; 42:120.
2007 - Doman D. Bond strength of 3 cements on 2 different ceramic sub-structures.
2009 - Vorster C. In vitro evaluation of surface characteristics on titanium and cobalt chromium abutment materials.
2009 - Biseswar N. Biaxial flexural strength of three oxide ceramic cores.
2009 - Doolabh R. Dental implant retaining screw: The effect of material on preload, determining an optimum preload and a protocol for maintaining it. [MSc(Dent) done through WITS with Prof Dullabh as main supervisor]
2013 - Harryparsad A. An In-vitro Study: The Effects of Hydrochloric Acid On All-ceramic Restorative Materials.
2017 - Jagathpal AJ. Comparison of excess luting agent around cemented implant crowns using three extraoral cementation techniques.
2017 - Fernandes NA. The prevalence of second canals in the mesiobuccal root of maxillary molars in a South Africa subpopulation: A Cone Beam Computed Tomography Study.
2018 - Doolabh R. Comparison of preload and removal torque of retaining screws in a dental implant with and without polyetheretherketone (PEEK) washers.
Books and/or chapters in books
CLEAR in Dentistry – Communication, Law, Ethics And Research in Dentistry. LM Sykes, WG Evans.
ISBN 978-0-620-77725-4. Published by E-Doc, a division of Life Long Learning Solutions, in conjunction with the SA Dental Association. Ist edition published 2017