The Department of Political Sciences in the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Pretoria presents degree packages and modules in International Relations and Political Science at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, up to doctoral level. The Department also presents degree packages in, and forms part of, the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences.
Political Science was introduced at the University of Pretoria in 1912 (in combination with other subjects) and became a separate major in 1922. The Department became independent in 1966. International Politics (renamed International Relations in 2001) was introduced as a two-year major in 1969 and as a three-year major in 1997. In 2000, the Department introduced new degree programmes and a modular system.
The Department has had close links with the Institute for Strategic Studies (ISSUP), which was established in 1974, and the Centre for International Political Studies (CIPS), which was established in 1999, with staff members actively involved in the research activities of these institutions. In early 2010, the two research institutes amalgamated to form the Institute for Strategic and Political Affairs (ISPA).
The Department of Political Sciences, which comprises experienced full- and part-time staff, has been led by Professor Siphamandla Zondi since January 2017.