Also refer to General Academic Regulations G30-G41.
- This programme offers the student with a four-year BDiv, a BThHons or equivalent qualification, the opportunity of theological specialisation and research at master’s level.
- The coursework modules, in case of the coursework master's degree, provide the opportunity to acquire specialist skills in the practical field of the Ministry.
- Relevant honours degree or relevant four-year bachelor’s degree
- A weighted average of at least 65% at final-year level
- Hebrew passed at second-year level of the bachelor’s degree (for the MTh in Old Testament Studies) or an admissions examination may be required
- Greek passed at second-year level of the bachelor’s degree – for the MTh (New Testament Studies) or an admissions examination may be required
Examinations and pass requirements
- A master's degree is conferred on a student by virtue of an examination, or an examination and a dissertation, or an examination and a mini-dissertation.
- These examinations can be written or oral.
- A subminimum of 50% is required in the examination. At least 50% is required as a pass mark for the mini-dissertation or dissertation.
- The stipulations of G39 regarding pass requirements for dissertations apply with the necessary changes to mini-dissertations.
- Mini-dissertations are evaluated and examined in accordance with the stipulations set out in a study guide, which is available on request from the various departments.
Also refer to General Academic Regulation G39.13.
Article for publication
- Unless Senate, on the recommendation of the supervisor, decides otherwise, a student, before or on submission of a dissertation, must submit at least one draft article for publication in a recognised academic journal and in the case of a thesis, must submit proof of submission of an article issued by an accredited journal, to the Head: Student Administration.
- The draft or submitted article, should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the dissertation and be approved by the supervisor if the supervisor is not a co-author.
- The supervisor shall be responsible for ensuring that the paper is taken through all the processes of revision and resubmission, as may be necessary. Conferment of the degree may be made subject to compliance with the stipulations of this regulation.
In the case of the MTh Research, the proposed title, research design and methodology must be submitted for approval to the Research and Ethics Committee via the supervisor and the head of department before a student may commence with the writing of a dissertation. The final title must be approved by the Postgraduate Committee and submitted to the faculty board for notification before submission of the thesis for examination.
Pass with distinction
In order to pass with distinction at least 75% for the dissertation must be obtained.
The degree must be completed in the minimum prescribed period with a maximum of one additional year allowed.
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App