Also consult General Academic Regulations G30-G41.
On the recommendation of the relevant head of department, the Dean may set specific residential requirements for the MScAgric degree.
Subject to programme-specific requirements, the curriculum for the MScAgric degree consists of the following:
- A dissertation; and
- Further study in the major subject/s, augmented by ancillary modules prescribed by the Postgraduate Studies Committee, on the recommendation of the head of department. Such ancillary modules may be taken simultaneously with the major subject/s. Candidates in possession of the BScAgricHons degree may be exempted from additional ancillary modules.
- Please note that not all modules will be offered in any one year.
- BScAgric degree (or equivalent) with a major in agricultural economics or relevant bachelor’s degree or relevant honours degree
- A weighted average of at least 60% at final-year level
- An admission examination may be required
Note: Additional modules may be required in order to reach the desired level of competency
Other programme-specific information
Students should complete a module in research methodology as preparation for the dissertation module.
University of Pretoria Programme Qualification Mix (PQM) verification project
The higher education sector has undergone an extensive alignment to the Higher Education Qualification Sub-Framework (HEQF) across all institutions in South Africa. In order to comply with the HEQSF, all institutions are legally required to participate in a national initiative led by regulatory bodies such as the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), the Council on Higher Education (CHE), and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). The University of Pretoria is presently engaged in an ongoing effort to align its qualifications and programmes with the HEQSF criteria. Current and prospective students should take note that changes to UP qualification and programme names, may occur as a result of the HEQSF initiative. Students are advised to contact their faculties if they have any questions.