- A BSocSciHons (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) degree or relevant honours degree
- A cumulative weighted average of at least 68% for the honours degree is required but students with a cumulative weighted average of 70% or more for the honours degree will receive preference
- Research component passed at honours level
Note: Additional work/modules may be required in order to reach the desired level of competency in research
- Students with an average of between 68% and 70% in the majors/fields of specialisation could be considered for admission under special conditions. Apply to the programme manager.
- Prospective students may be required to do additional work/modules (for non-degree purposes) to enable them to reach the desired level of research capability, should it be found that they have not completed an appropriate research component at honours level.
Pass with distinction
For the degree to be awarded with distinction a student must obtain a minimum of 75% for the dissertation.
University of Pretoria Programme Qualification Mix (PQM) verification project
The higher education sector has undergone an extensive alignment to the Higher Education Qualification Sub-Framework (HEQF) across all institutions in South Africa. In order to comply with the HEQSF, all institutions are legally required to participate in a national initiative led by regulatory bodies such as the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), the Council on Higher Education (CHE), and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). The University of Pretoria is presently engaged in an ongoing effort to align its qualifications and programmes with the HEQSF criteria. Current and prospective students should take note that changes to UP qualification and programme names, may occur as a result of the HEQSF initiative. Students are advised to contact their faculties if they have any questions.