- Relevant bachelor’s degree and a relevant Teacher’s Diploma (e.g. BA + HED) or relevant bachelor’s degree and a Postgraduate Certificate in Education or relevant four-year bachelor’s degree in Education (e.g. BEd) or relevant M+4 Teacher’s Diploma and relevant Advanced Diploma in Education.
For Oral Literacies in African Language Education (ALE 730) IsiZulu/IsiNdebele/Sepedi/Setswana 1, 2, 3 will be required. Beginner’s courses are not acceptable.
Selection is based on:
- Meeting the minimum academic requirements required for admission;
- Previous academic performance;
- Applicable academic and/or teaching background;
- Availability of supervision for the required research project;
- Proven academic potential which may include academic communication and computer application skills;
- Additionally, an interview may be requested;
- The requirements of professional registration bodies;
- The discretion of the head of department.
University of Pretoria Programme Qualification Mix (PQM) verification project
The higher education sector has undergone an extensive alignment to the Higher Education Qualification Sub-Framework (HEQF) across all institutions in South Africa. In order to comply with the HEQSF, all institutions are legally required to participate in a national initiative led by regulatory bodies such as the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), the Council on Higher Education (CHE), and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). The University of Pretoria is presently engaged in an ongoing effort to align its qualifications and programmes with the HEQSF criteria. Current and prospective students should take note that changes to UP qualification and programme names, may occur as a result of the HEQSF initiative. Students are advised to contact their faculties if they have any questions.