The programme consists of seven honours modules (five modules of 15 credits each from the Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics and two modules of 16 credits each from the Department of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education) as well as the compulsory research project (30 credits). Elective modules should be selected according to the prerequisites of these modules.
- BSc (Mathematics) degree or BSc (Applied Mathematics) degree or relevant bachelor’s degree
- At least 60% for all mathematics and applied mathematics modules at final-year level
- A minimum of 60% for each of the following subjects/modules (or equivalent):
- Real analysis at final-year level
- Algebra at final-year level
Promotion to next study year
The progress of all honours candidates is monitored biannually by the postgraduate coordinator/head of department. A candidate’s study may be terminated if the progress is unsatisfactory or if the candidate is unable to finish his/her studies during the prescribed period.