- Relevant honours degree in one of the African languages or relevant four-year bachelor's degree with focus on an African language
- A cumulative weighted average of at least 60% for the honours degree or a weighted average of at least 60% for the final year of the four-year bachelor’s degree
- An admissions essay may be required
Note: Additional work/modules may be required in order to reach the desired level of competency
- An acceptable level of proficiency in English or Afrikaans is a requisite.
- Prospective students may be required to submit an admissions essay or to do additional work/modules to enable them to reach the desired level of study.
- An approved research proposal is required.