This programme qualifies candidates for entry-level positions into the mass communications industries such as graphic design, branding and advertising as well as broadcast design. With a strong social underpinning, the programme incorporates design strategies, design applications and design products in print, ambient and screen-based media and technologies.
Closing date for applications: 30 June annually
Please apply as soon as applications open on 1 March.
- The closing date is an administrative admission guideline.
- Once a non-selection programme is full and has reached the institutional targets, then that programme will be closed for further admissions, irrespective of the closing date. However, if the institutional targets have not been met by the closing date, then that programme will remain open for admissions until the institutional targets are met.
- Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
- Faculty Yearbooks: click here.
1. You will be considered for conditional admission, if space allows, and if you:
- are a Grade 11 applicant, please submit your final Grade 11 examination results, and have a National Senior Certificate (NSC) with university endorsement or an equivalent qualification; OR
- are transferring from other recognised institutions to the University of Pretoria; OR
- are a graduate or have graduate status from another recognised tertiary institution; OR
- are a graduate of another Faculty at the University of Pretoria; AND
- comply with the minimum subject requirements and achievement levels, as well as the APS requirements of specific programmes.
- If you are an international applicant please apply for conditional admission based on your final results equivalent to Grade 11.
- Final admission is based on the qualification equivalent to the NSC.
2. You will be considered for final admission to degree studies, if space allows, and if you:
- have a National Senior Certificate (NSC) or equivalent qualification with admission to Bachelor’s degree studies; and comply with the minimum subject requirements as well as the APS requirements of their chosen programme; OR
- are a student transferring from another recognised tertiary institution and comply with the programme requirements; OR
- have graduate status from another recognised tertiary institution, or are a graduate of another Faculty at the University of Pretoria.
- If you are an international student or are a student with other qualifications equivalent to the NSC (including school qualifications from other countries, eg Spain, New Zealand, etc), you must obtain a Complete Exemption Certificate or a Foreign Conditional Exemption Certificate based on your international (‘foreign’) qualifications. Certificates can only be obtained from Universities South Africa (USAf) at click here. In addition, these candidates must meet the relevant programme admission requirements.
English Home Language or English First Additional Language
To retain admission, you must obtain an APS of at least 28 in the NSC.
Departmental selection is necessary prior to admission to this programme. Although Art as a Grade 12 subject is not a requirement, a candidate must be able to demonstrate his/her creative potential and commitment to the chosen field of study. Candidates are therefore required to submit a portfolio of work for a merit selection review and, if invited, undergo a series of tests and be interviewed by a selection committee. Contact the coordinator for more information. A student who chooses this programme must work in an appropriate design studio, approved by the coordinator, for at least six weeks during the third and fourth years.
Other programme-specific information
Students who are deemed NOT to be at risk of their level of academic literacy, are exempted from ALL 110 and ALL 125.
Promotion to next study year
A student must pass all the core modules to be promoted to the next year of study. The Dean may approve exceptions to these promotion requirements on the recommendation of the head of the department.
Pass with distinction
The degree is awarded with distinction to a candidate who obtains at least 75% in IOW 400 and VKK 402.