The doctorate degree is conferred on the basis of a thesis (360 credits).
- Relevant research-based master’s degree
- Copy of the research master’s dissertation
- Comprehensive intellectual CV
- An entrance/admissions examination may be required
Note: Additional modules may be required in order to reach the desired level of competency
Other programme-specific information
Also consult the General Regulations.
- Subject to the stipulations of the General Regulations, a master's degree is required for admission to studies for a PhD.
- Unless otherwise decided by the Dean, on the recommendation of the supervisor, the PhD degree is awarded on the basis of a thesis and an examination on the thesis.
- Unless the Senate, on the recommendation of the supervisor, decides otherwise, a student, before or on submission of a thesis, must submit proof of submission of an article issued by an accredited journal, to the Head: Student Administration. The submitted article should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the thesis and be approved by the supervisor if the supervisor is not a co-author. The supervisor shall be responsible for ensuring that the paper is taken through all the processes of revision and resubmission, as may be necessary. Conferment of the degree may be made subject to compliance with the stipulations of this regulation.
- The student must provide proof by means of his work, thesis and examination of advanced original research and/or creative work which makes a real and substantial contribution to the knowledge of Engineering Science and/or Practice.
Please refer to the Programme Guide for further information, available here.
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App