This programme is offered by the Department of Anatomy and Physiology.
Also consult the UP General Regulations.
The MSc degree in Veterinary Science is a research degree. The degree is conferred by virtue of the successful completion of a dissertation.
- Subject to the stipulations of the applicable General Regulations, a BScHons, a four-year BScAgric, BVSc or equivalent degree or a relevant postgraduate diploma (on NQF level 8) is required.
- Students will be required to submit a project concept note as part of the application, for consideration for admission.
- In certain cases, it remains the prerogative of the head of department to require, in addition to the entrance requirements, the successful completion of an admissions test before registration.
- In cases where web-based/online modules are offered, basic computer skills are required in order to successfully participate in the degree programme.
- All international applicants whose first language is not English, may be required to pass a proficiency test in English (TOEFL). Application and more information: www.ets.org/toefl/
- Postgraduate applicants who have completed any foreign qualifications must have all their previous post-school qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) before applying for postgraduate studies at the University of Pretoria: www.saqa.org.za
The research topic is determined in consultation with the relevant head of department, and the research project(s)/ dissertation that follow, must be approved according to Faculty guidelines.
Before or on submission of the final copy of the dissertation, a student must submit a draft article for publication to the supervisor (General Regulation G.12(a) and (b)). The draft article should be based on the research that the student has conducted for the dissertation and be approved by the supervisor concerned. The supervisor should then have the opportunity to take the paper through all the processes of revision and resubmission as may be necessary and/or appropriate in order to achieve publication.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained an average of at least 75% for the dissertation.