The increasing amount of information available and developing information needs have necessitated the training of information intermediaries to effectively facilitate the bringing together of users and the information they require.
This package focuses on the use of information technology and the processing of information products and is designed to train students in the management, retrieval and organisation of information, as well as to teach them how to add value to, package and distribute information. Students will also have the opportunity to develop knowledge and skills in the management of one of the most important resources of enterprises – information and knowledge. Two or three specialisation options are available, depending on the electives chosen.
- The following persons will be considered for admission: candidates who are in possession of a certificate that is deemed by the University to be equivalent to the required Grade 12 certificate with university endorsement; candidates who are graduates from another tertiary institution or have been granted the status of a graduate of such an institution; and candidates who are graduates of another faculty at the University of Pretoria.
- Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
- Grade 11 results are used in the conditional admission of prospective students.
- A valid qualification with admission to degree studies is required.
- Minimum subject and achievement requirements, as set out below, are required.
- Tuition will be presented in English only.
- Should a candidate obtain an APS of 25 to 27, consideration for admission will be based on the results of the NBT, provided the numbers of students in designated groups have not been reached. If informatics is selected at first-year level, an achievement level of 5 is required in Mathematics.
English Home Language or English First Additional Language
(25 - 27 admission based on the NBT)
* Cambridge A level candidates who obtained at least a D in the required subjects, will be considered for admission. International Baccalaureate (IB) HL candidates who obtained at least a 4 in the required subjects, will be considered for admission.
Other programme-specific information
Because credits are not calculated in the same way in all faculties, students should ensure note that the total number of credits required for this package is at least 415-458 depending on the choice of elective modules (as required for Group A, B or C).