The BScHons (Engineering and Technology Management) degree is conferred by the following academic department: Engineering and Technology Management.
The stipulations of Faculty Regulations for honours degrees apply mutatis mutandis.
Any specific module is offered on the condition that a minimum number of students are registered for the module, as determined by the relevant head of department and the Dean. Students must consult the relevant head of department in order to compile a meaningful programme, as well as on the syllabi of the modules. The relevant departmental postgraduate brochures must be consulted.
- An appropriate bachelor’s degree in the natural sciences with an average of at least 65%, calculated on the grades of all the final-year modules failed and passed; or an appropriate BTech degree with a minimum average of 65%, calculated on the grades of all the modules, failed or passed.
- The average of 65% is not applicable if the applicant has already completed an honours degree, or a management development programme with a minimum average of 65%.
- A full first year of Mathematics or an equivalent is required.
- The departmental Postgraduate Committee reserves the right to make a thorough assessment of the applicant's academic transcript and to decide if the applicant may be admitted.
Examinations and pass requirements
- The examination in each module for which a student is registered, takes place during the normal examination period after the conclusion of lectures (i.e. October/November or May/June).
- A student registered for the honours degree must complete his or her studies within two years (full-time), or within three years (part-time) after first registration for the degree: Provided that the Dean, on recommendation of the relevant head of department, may approve a stipulated limited extension of this period.
- A student must obtain at least 50% in an examination for each module where no semester or year mark is required. A module may only be repeated once.
- In modules where semester or year marks are awarded, a minimum examination mark of 40% and a final mark of 50% is required.
- No supplementary or special examinations are granted at postgraduate level.
Pass with distinction
A student passes with distinction if he or she obtains a weighted average of at least 75% in the first 128 credits for which he or she has registered (excluding modules which were discontinued timeously). The degree is not awarded with distinction if a student fails any one module (excluding modules which were discontinued timeously). The degree must be completed within the prescribed study period.