The current Department of Occupational Therapy was established in 1982, after the Vona du Toit College of Occupational Therapy incorporated with the University of Pretoria.
Occupational Therapy training in Pretoria was first introduced through the School of Occupational Therapy in 1955, which then became the Pretoria College of Occupational Therapy in 1963. After the passing on of the Principal, Vona du Toit, the College was renamed the Vona du Toit College of Occupational Therapy in 1975.
Vona du Toit’s Legacy, the Theory of Creative Ability, has become a feature of occupational therapy training in South Africa and forms the basis of therapeutic intervention in the various fields of the profession in the country.
Through the years, staff members from the College and the Department have been actively involved in the development of the profession and the education of occupational therapists on a national and international level.
The Department of Occupational Therapy actively participates in the Occupational Therapy Africa Regional Group (OTARG).