What is the mandate of ISPA?
ISPA locates itself within critical strategic studies. It is concerned with understanding how to dissect the nexus between means and ends, the choices made and results we see, historical trends and future possibilities. These may relate to domestic South African politics and society or African developments or global affairs.
Among key questions that the Institute’s intellectual agenda will seek to respond to through specific, thematic, short and long-term, individual and collaborate research and dialogue are the following:
- What informs the choices that crucial actors take in the management of global governance, international security, international negotiations and diplomacy, economy ?
- What choices are not being made that should be made?
- So, what is a set of opportunities and risks that must be responded to urgently and how?
- To what extent is the global economic and political system an opportunity or a threat to African agendas and South African ambitions?
- What strategic assets does South Africa have to manage its domestic challenges, from poor policy implementation to leadership deficit, jobless growth to corruption, weak political accountability to the spurts of social anger and discontent?
- What are the linkages between the global, continental and national that reinforce the deferment of the dream of a better SA, better Africa and a better world?
- What economic, political, security, cultural, social and epistemic trends globally need to be interpreted and harnessed for the benefit of the people?
ISPA promotes research, publications and discussions on strategic issues facing the world, Africa and South Africa.
It thus seeks to contribute to both strategic theory and analysis especially on the nexus between means and end in international relations and in South African/Africa politics.
Copyright © University of Pretoria 2023. All rights reserved.
COVID-19 Corona Virus South African Resource Portal
To contact the University during the COVID-19 lockdown, please send an email to [email protected]
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App