Message from the Director
Welcome to the Centre for Veterinary Wildlife Research. The Centre is the home to veterinary wildlife research in the Faculty and plays an important role in coordinating and facilitating wildlife related research activities. Our Faculty is a leader in Wildlife Veterinary Science and has an extensive publication record in this field. We continue to strive to generate new knowledge to enhance our understanding of wildlife and ensure their health and welfare, which in turn has important benefits to humans and domesticated animals. Many of our research activities play an important role in the conservation of biodiversity and support the safe, ethical and sustainable utilisation of wildlife.
The Centre is proudly made up of appointed personal, academic affiliates from the University, external academics with honorary appointments (extra-ordinary lecturers), collaborators and sponsors, who all work together for the good of wildlife and the environment. I trust that your tour through this website will enlighten you on our current activities, achievements, future plans and opportunities. We also provide useful links to our Faculty's undergraduate wildlife teaching programmes and clinical services.
- Advance and facilitate the involvement of, and contribution by, veterinary science to the conservation of biodiversity
- Contribute to the sustainable utilization of wildlife, and
- Attend to the health and welfare of indigenous wildlife of Africa
These activities aim to support sustainable economic development and the conservation of biodiversity
- Be the focus of wildlife related research at the Faculty
- Contribute to formal under- and postgraduate training
- Present wildlife-related continuing education courses
- Fundraising for projects associated with wildlife research
- Networking with relevant local and international partners