The Centre for Evaluation and Assessment (CEA) is situated in the Faculty of Education at the University of Pretoria. The centre was established 15 years ago in recognition of the importance of the fields of evaluation, assessment, monitoring and quality assurance in ensuring the quality of education in South Africa and beyond. The centre has worked with institutions and organisations such as government, non-government and the higher education sector nationally and internationally to conduct research and development projects in supporting and promoting primary and secondary school education.
My vision for the Centre is that it continues to be a hub of specialist knowledge in the fields of educational research and assessment, with a specific focus on the development and design of assessment instruments, large scale assessment programmes and the application of assessment to enhance teaching and learning practices for the betterment of learners and society.
The five main focus areas of the Centre for Evaluation and Assessment are:
1. Projects: Obtaining, implementing and completing contracted and commissioned research projects
2. Grants: Completing current grant projects and obtaining new grants
3. Research Outputs: Generating research reports, presentations, workshops and academic articles, books and monographs based on findings emanating from research projects
4. Talent and Skills Incubator: Staff development to increase project coordination skills, methodological knowledge, academic writing as well as data analysis expertise. This also includes formal academic qualifications such as Honours, Masters and PhD degrees.
5. Strategic Goal Alignment: To become a centre of research excellence and thereby align with the University of Pretoria’s strategic goals. This is geared towards having a positive impact on the broader South African educational landscape through dissemination of findings, the training and support of students and young researchers and collaboration with stakeholders to make findings applicable and practical.
We are on a journey into the unknown, and I invite you to join me as we do the most exciting job on earth: teaching and learning, which is what research and being human is all about.
Dr Surette van Staden
Director: Centre for Evaluation and Assessment