Extraordinary Professor (Audiology), Department of Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology, University of Pretoria.
Professor, George Osborn College of Audiology, Salus University, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania.
Professor, Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Adjunct Professor, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Adjunct Professor, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
Adjunct Professor, American University of Beirut.
Adjunct Visiting Professor, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1970 - BA (Biology) (American International College, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA)
1973 - MA (Speech Pathology) (Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA)
1979 - PhD (Audiology) (Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA)
Prof. Halls's research focuses on auditory neurophysiology, tinnitus and disordrs of decreased sound tolerance, auditory processing disorders and tele-audiology.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Johnston, KN, John AB, Kreisman, NV, Hall JW III & Crandell CC. Multiple benefits of personal FM system use by children with auditory processing disorder (APD). International Journal of Audiology, 48, 371- 383, 2009
- Van Zyl, A., Swanepoel, D. & Hall, JW III. Effect of prolonged contralateral acoustic stimulation on transient evoked otoacoustic emissions. Hearing Research, 2009
- Swanepoel, D & Hall JW III. (2010). A systematic review of telehealth applications in audiology.Telemedicine and e-Health, 16, 181-200
- Swanepoel D, Hall JW III, Koekemoer D. (2010). Vuvuzela – good for your team, bad for your ears. SAMJ (South African Medical Journal), 100 (2), 99-100
- Swanepoel D, Clark JL, Koekemoer D, Hall JW III, Krumm M, Ferrari DV, McPherson B, Olusanya BO, Mars M, Russo I & Barajas JJ. (2010). Tele-health in audiology: The need and potential to reach underserved populations. International Journal of Audiology, 49, 195-202
- Swanepoel D, Hall JW III (2010). Football match spectator sound exposure and effect on hearing: a pretest-post-test study. South African Medical Journal, 100(4):239 - 242.
- Swanepoel D, Hall JW III, Koekemoer D (2010). Vuvuzela sound measurements. South African Medical Journal, 100(4): 192
- Bantwal AR & Hall JW III. Pediatric speech perception in noise. Current Pediatric Reviews, 7, 214-226, 2011
- LePrell C, Hensley BN, Campbell KCM, Hall JW III & Guire K. (2011). Evidence of hearing loss in a “normally-hearing” college-student population. International Journal of Audiology, 50 Supplement 1, S21-23
- Kreisman NV, John AB, Kreisman BM, Hall JW III & Crandell CC (deceased) (2012). Psychosocial status of children with auditory processing disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 22, 222-233
- Friderichs N, Swanepoel D, Hall JW III. (2012). Efficacy of a community-based infant hearing screening program utilizing existing personnel in Western Cape, South Africa. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 76, 552 - 559
- John AB, Hall JW III & Kreisman BM. Effects of advancing age and hearing loss on Gaps-in-Noise test performance. American Journal of Audiology, 21, 242-250
- Strauss S, Swanepoel DW, Becker P, Eloff Z & Hall JW III (2012). Prevalence and degree of noise-induced hearing loss in South African gold miners. Occupational Health South Africa, 18 (November/December), 4 – 1079
- Maclennan-Smith F, Swanepoel D & Hall JW III (2013). Validity of diagnostic pure-tone audiometry without a sound-treated environment in older adults. International Journal of Audiology, 52, 66-73
- LePrell CG, Dell S, Hensley B, Hall JW III, Campbell KC, Antonelli PJ, Green GE, Miller JM & Guire K. (2012). Digital noise exposure induces temporary threshold shift in normal-hearing human subjects. Ear & Hearing, 33, 44-58
- Biagio L, Swanepoel, DW, Adeyemo A, Hall JW III, Vinck B (2013). Asynchronous video-otoscopy with a telehealth facilitator. Telemedicine and e-Health, 19, 1-7
- Swanepoel, DW, Maclennan-Smith F & Hall JW III (2013). Diagnostic pure-tone audiometry in schools: Mobile testing without a sound-treated environment, Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 24, 1-9
- Ramkumar V, Hall JW III, Nagarajan R, Shankarnarayan VC & Kumaravelu S (2013). Tele-ABR using a satellite connection in a mobile van for newborn hearing testing. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 19, 233-237
- Kreisman BM, Bevilacqua E, Day K, Kreisman NV & Hall JW III (2013). Preschool hearing screenings: A comparison of distortion product otoacoustic emission and pure tone protocols. Journal of Educational Audiology, 19, 49-57
- Straus S, Swanepoel DW, Becker P, Eloff Z & Hall JW III (2014). Noise and age-related hearing loss: A study of 40,123 gold miners in South Africa. International Journal of Audiology, 53, S66-S75
- Swanepoel D, MacLennan-Smith F, Hall JW III (2013). Diagnostic pure tone audiometry in schools: mobile testing without a sound-treated environments. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 24, 992-1000
- Swanepoel, DW, Matthysen C, Eikelboom RH, Clark JL & Hall JW III (2015). Pure tone audiometry outside a sound-booth using earphone attenuation, integrated ambient noise monitoring, and automation. International Journal of Audiology, 54, 777-785
- Hall JW III (2016). Effective and efficient preschool hearing screening: Essential for successful early hearing detection and intervention (EHDI). Journal of Early Hearing Detection and Intervention, 1, 1-12
- de Kock T, Swanepoel D & Hall JW III (2015). Newborn hearing screening at a community-based obstetric unit: Screening and diagnostic outcomes. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 84, 124-131
- Hall JW III (2016). Objective assessment of infant hearing: Essential for early intervention. Journal of Hearing Science, 6 (2), 1-17
- Hall JW III (2016). The crosscheck principle in pediatric audiology: A 40-year perspective. Journal of Audiology and Otology, 20 (2), 1-9
- Ramkumar V, Hall JW III, Nagarajan R, Shankarnarayan VC & Kumaravelu S (2013). Cost and effectiveness of tele-audiological versus in-person community-based pediatric diagnostic hearing testing in rural India. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare,
- Shaikh MAM, Hall JW III, McManus C & Lew HL (2017). Hearing and balance disorders in the state of Hawai’i: Demographics and demand for services. Hawai’i Journal of Medicine & Public Health, 76 (5), 7-11
- Ramkumar V, Vanaja CS, Hall JW III, Selvakkumar K & Nagarajan R. (2018). Validation of DPOAE screening conducted by village health workers in a rural community with real-time click evoked tele-auditory brainstem response, International Journal of Audiology, DOI: 10.1080/14992027.2018.1425001
- Ramkumar V, John KR, Selvakumar K, Nagarajan R, Shankarnarayan VC & Hall JW III, (2018). Cost and outcome of a community-based paediatric hearing screening programme in rural India with application of tele-audiology for follow-up diagnostic assessment. International Journal of Audiology, Early Online 1-8
- Hall JW III and Bondurant LM. Neuro-diagnostic paediatric audiology. In Paediatric Audiological Medicine (2nd Ed.) VE Newton (ed), London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009, pp. 72- 89
- Hall JW III & Johnston KN. Diagnostic audiology, hearing instruments and aural habilitation. In JB Snow & PA Wackym, eds. Ballenger’s Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery (17th edition). Shelton CT: People’s Medical Publishing House, 2009
- Hall JW III, Bantwal A, Ramkumar V, Chhabria N. Electrophysiologic assessment of hearing with auditory middle latency and auditory late responses. In R Seewald and AM Tharpe (eds). Comprehensive Handbook of Pediatric Audiology. San Diego: Plural Publishing (2011)
- Hall JW III. Application of FM technology in management of auditory processing disorder (APD) in triplicate. In Madell J & Flexer CA. (eds). Pediatric Audiology Case Book. New York: Thieme (2011)
- Hensley, BN., Bantwal A. & Hall JW III, Comprehensive diagnostic audiology. Kirtane MV, de Souza CE, Sanna M & Devaiah AK (eds). Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. Delhi: Thieme International (2013), pp. 56-71
- Bantwal A & ,Hall JW III. Physiology of Hearing. Sanna, de Souza, Kirtane & Devaiah (eds). Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. Kirtane MV, de Souza CE, Sanna M & Devaiah AK (eds). Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. Delhi: Thieme International (2013), pp. 46-55
- Bantwal A & Hall JW III. (Central) auditory processing disorders. Kirtane MV, de Souza CE, Sanna M & Devaiah AK (eds). Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. Delhi: Thieme International (2013), pp. 285-300
- Hall JW III. (2011). Objective measures of auditory function. In JE Peck (Ed) Pseudohypacusis: False and Exaggerated Hearing Loss. San Diego: Plural Publishing, pp. 137-155
- Hall JW III and Antonelli P. (2012). Audiologic assessment of peripheral and central auditory function. In Bailey B (ed). Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. (5th ed). New York: Lippincott-Raven Publishers
- Hall JW III and Bantwal A (2015). Historical foundation of central auditory processing disorder. In Musiek FE & Chermak GD (eds). Handbook of Central Auditory Processing Disorder: Volume II. Auditory Neuroscience and Diagnostics (2nd ed). San Diego: Plural Publishing
- Hall JW III, Zayat Z, Aghamolaei, M. Clinical measurement and application of cortical auditory evoked responses. In Madell JR, Flexer C, Wolfe J & Schafer E (eds). Pediatric Audiology (3rd ed). New York: Thieme Publishers, 2019
- Hall JW III & Momtaz S. Current and emerging clinical applications of auditory steady state responses (ASSR). In Advances in Audiology (S Hatzopoulos, A Ciorba, M Krumm, eds), in press
- Lew HL, Tanaka C, Pogoda TK, Hall JW III. Chapter 50: Auditory, Vestibular, and Visual Impairments, In Braddom's Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (6th ed). New York: Elsevier Inc, in press
- Tanaka C, Hall JW III, Pogoda TK & Lew HL. Chapter 9. Neurosensory deficits associated with concussion. In Eapen BC (ed) Concussion Assessment,
- Management, and Rehabilitation. New York: Elsevier Inc, in press
- Hall JW III & Swanepoel D (2010). Objective Assessment of Hearing Loss. San Diego: Plural Publishing
- Dhar S & Hall JW III (2011). Otoacoustic Emissions: Principles, Procedures, and Protocols. San Diego: Plural Publishing
- Hall JW III (2014) Introduction to Audiology Today. Boston: Pearson Educational
- Hall JW III (2015) eHandbook of Auditory Evoked Responses. Kindle Direct Publishing, Amazon.com
- Dhar S & Hall JW III (2018). Otoacoustic Emissions: Principles, Procedures, and Protocols (2nd Ed). San Diego: Plural Publishing
ACADEMIC & PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS:
- Professor, Salus University, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania USA
- Professor, University of Hawaii, Honolulu Hawaii USA
- Visiting Professor, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- American Academy of Audiology
- Florida Academy of Audiology
- International Society of Audiology
Email: [email protected]