Research conducted in the School spans eight different Dental Departments. It is aimed at stimulating, informing and educating the dental profession and the community by means of appropriate, pioneering, evidence-based and relevant research. The researchers are involved in multi-disciplinary projects aiming at improving clinical practice and the development of effective and efficient oral health care delivery system in South Africa.
The School’s research outputs focus on the following:
- Research in the field of Oral Epidemiology, Health systems and Health Services , Quality of life and Tobacco control.
- Maxilla-facial and Oral surgery;
- Practice management strategies and development, implementation and evaluation of a teaching curriculum in dentistry;
- Clinical and laboratory research on dental materials;
- Oral Carcinoma, HIV AIDS, Forensic Dentistry and Comparative Oral Pathology;
- Orthodontic research;
- Tissue engineering research in the field of Periodontics;
- Research in the field of Prosthodontics.
Research Coordinator - Prof Leanne Sykes
tel 012 319 2683 or send email