The Department of Production Animal Studies is subdivided according to activities. These divisions are:
- The Ruminant Health & Production Section is responsible for the presentation of courses in basic animal production, welfare and animal handling. The section visits various production animal farms and empowers students to practice preventive medicine
- The Epidemiology Section deals with all aspects of veterinary epidemiology
- The Production Animal Clinical Section takes care of the medical and surgical production animal cases in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital and surrounding communities
- The Reproduction section teaches students about reproductive disorders and biotechnology in all species. Specialists in the section supply a service to farmers and breeders
- The Poultry Reference Centre deals with all aspects of poultry health and production in close association with the poultry industry
The Department has a close working relationship with the Centre for Veterinary Wildlife Studies which coordinates research in the Faculty related to indigenous wildlife with the emphasis on conservation and game ranching.